"Shackleton and a Big Rock Story" Shackleton by aussirose
Shackleton Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 47 photos
If you have stumbled across this page and enjoy my write up, then you will also love my Yellowdine and Quariading pages. I have provided links below.
Anyway, we were on our way back to Perth and I had discovered a few interesting things to see along the way. One is pictured below - we'll get to that in a minute - and another is this big rock you see here - which is by the way, the third biggest rock in Australia - see my tip.
We are glad we stopped off and had a look. The full story is in my travelogue below.
Shackleton Part 2 - When planning for the Big Downunder Meet 2013 tagalong road trip, this place and the rock were the first on the list. Hubby and I knew that our vt mates would just love it. And they did. Please check out the full fun story in my travelogues below.
Shackleton - The Town That Nearly Wasn't.
Here's an interesting history lesson. Shackleton was originally called Cokine (funny names in the ouback :o). They had to change the name as people were confusing it with Kukerin near Lake Grace further down south.
The town wasn't officially gazetted until 1951. Now it is part what's called the Wheatbelt - wheat growing and sheep raising area of Western Australia.
Shackleton has it's own claim to fame. It is the town that has the smallest Bank in Australia! Fancy that?!! :o)
I couldn't believe it when we saw it. It is so cute! Plus it's Bankwest! That is the Bank I work for lol.
The sign says that it was originally the Bank of New South Wales.
Wouldn't be hard to rob this bank.... just stick it on the back of your truck ;o)
If you want to have a look at our gem fossiking adventure at Lake Yellowdine, or continue on to Quairading and a Pink Lake story then please click the links below.
If you are following the 2013 VT Meet tagalong journey, please click this link -
Next Stop - Corrigin and a Dog Story
- Pros:Has the Worlds Smallest Bankl
- Cons:And not much else
- In a nutshell:Worth a quick stop if passing by
Like most places in the big Australian Outback flies can ruin your holiday so be prepared for them. We saw that the... more travel advice
aussirose's Related Pages
Shackleton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Shackleton
- 3 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Shackleton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shackleton
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Friday VT Pub"
- updated a Shackleton Travelogue "Big Rock Story - Big Downunder VT Meet 2013"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kokerbin Rock - 3rd Largest Rock in Australia"
- Commented on one of aussirose's Shackleton travel pages
- Wrote a Review Flies!! Can ruin your trip if you are not prepared in Shackleton Warnings and Dangers
Photos in ShackletonSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 48 reviews, 281 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Intro, 34 reviews, 179 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 64 reviews, 148 photos, 7 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 20 reviews, 166 photos, 10 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 26 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River Intro, 30 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 22 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 157 photos, 18 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 18 reviews, 148 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 28 reviews, 132 photos, 9 travelogues