"Shackleton and a Big Rock Story" Shackleton by aussirose

Shackleton Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 47 photos

We arrived in Shackleton on a recent road trip from Perth into the Aussie outback. We had recently got our miners rights and took son Jesse out to a place called Yellowdine Lake to check out the beautiful Quartz Cyrstals. You need a miners right in order to take rocks away with you.

If you have stumbled across this page and enjoy my write up, then you will also love my Yellowdine and Quariading pages. I have provided links below.

Anyway, we were on our way back to Perth and I had discovered a few interesting things to see along the way. One is pictured below - we'll get to that in a minute - and another is this big rock you see here - which is by the way, the third biggest rock in Australia - see my tip.

We are glad we stopped off and had a look. The full story is in my travelogue below.

Shackleton Part 2 - When planning for the Big Downunder Meet 2013 tagalong road trip, this place and the rock were the first on the list. Hubby and I knew that our vt mates would just love it. And they did. Please check out the full fun story in my travelogues below.

Shackleton - The Town That Nearly Wasn't.

Here's an interesting history lesson. Shackleton was originally called Cokine (funny names in the ouback :o). They had to change the name as people were confusing it with Kukerin near Lake Grace further down south.

The town wasn't officially gazetted until 1951. Now it is part what's called the Wheatbelt - wheat growing and sheep raising area of Western Australia.

Shackleton has it's own claim to fame. It is the town that has the smallest Bank in Australia! Fancy that?!! :o)

I couldn't believe it when we saw it. It is so cute! Plus it's Bankwest! That is the Bank I work for lol.

The sign says that it was originally the Bank of New South Wales.

Wouldn't be hard to rob this bank.... just stick it on the back of your truck ;o)

If you want to have a look at our gem fossiking adventure at Lake Yellowdine, or continue on to Quairading and a Pink Lake story then please click the links below.

Yellowdine Lake
Quairading

If you are following the 2013 VT Meet tagalong journey, please click this link -

Next Stop - Corrigin and a Dog Story

• Pros:Has the Worlds Smallest Bankl
  • Cons:And not much else
  • In a nutshell:Worth a quick stop if passing by
  • Last visit to Shackleton: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2013

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Great pictures of the rock, now how hot was this when you went? desert like heat?

• peeanno's Profile Photo
      Jan 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM

When you pass thru Shackleton in 2013, make sure u visit Steve's Art studio. They also do coffee & cake, but you need to give them advance notice, at least several days as they are only just starting up the coffee bar, in Fact they are building the coffee bar area as we speak.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
      Jan 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Hey thanks! We will do that. Welcome to vt. Love your vt nic!! haha :o) Cheers, Ann.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Has it ever been robbed?

aussirose

“Latest Photo shoot - Macro. Pink Roses and Bee.”

Badges & Stats in Shackleton

Have you been to Shackleton?