"Oestrich-Winkel - A Rhine River Beauty" Oestrich-Winkel by aussirose

Oestrich-Winkel Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 17 photos

Ahhhh, the cute Mouse Castle! Have you ever seen a Castle more cute?!! :o)

I was planning our big Europe holiday with the idea of driving along the Rhine River for part of the way. I didn't realise how many Castles there were along the river until I started doing some more intensive research using Google Maps and vt. That was when I discovered Mauseturm or the Mouse Castle and just knew I had to see it!

The most obvious place to view this cute Castle is in Bingen on the left hand side of the river looking upstream ..... but there isn't much else to do in Bingen so I started to look elsewhere. Then I found Globetrott's Oestrich-Winkel page and the rest fell into place! :o)

More about the Mouse Castle in my travelogue below.

Oestrich-Winkel is on the right hand side of the Rhine River as you head up stream. On Google maps the right hand side of the river looked more interesting so this fitted in with the plans. Also, we were headed towards our destination for the night, Braubach which is also on the right hand side of the river.

The view of the river from the foreshore at Oestrich-Winkel was lovely and peaceful :o)

Anyway, as I said, I found Globetrott's Oestrich-Winkel page and saw his picture of this - an old transport crane and I immediately saved that tip into my trip planner. Thanks Michael :o)

So when we got there, it was the first thing I recognised. We parked the car and went for a wander along the forshore.

These cranes were used to help in the transport of goods such as wine barrels, sand, gravel, coal and grain.

Here is a link to my travelogue.

Or you can read my tips first and access my travelogue at the end by clicking - Oestrich-Winkel Tips

IF YOU ARE FOLLOWING ALONG MY EUROPE TRIP THAT STARTED OFF FROM ZURICH, THERE IS A LINK AT THE END OF THE TRAVELOGUE.

• Pros:Lovely views of Rhine River, Mouse Castle & Old Crane
  • Cons:Nothing
  • In a nutshell:Worth a visit when driving along the Rhine River
  • Last visit to Oestrich-Winkel: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Yes, Oestrich-Winkel is a really great village to start your travels in the Rhine-valley and it is also much less expensive that the closeby village of Ruedesheim !

aussirose

“A free Rose from the garden is a girl's best friend.”

Badges & Stats in Oestrich-Winkel

Have you been to Oestrich-Winkel?