"Pulau Ketam - A Quaint Fishing Village on Stilts" Pulau Ketam by aussirose

Pulau Ketam Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 44 photos

Hubby and I really enjoyed our day trip here to Pulau Ketam, or Crab Island in English.

Pulau Ketam is on the west coast of Malaysia about a little over an hour from Kuala Lumpur and another half hour by ferry from Klang Port. As the name suggests, the place is overrun by crabs when the tide goes out.

The interesting thing about Pulau Ketam is that the whole village is built on stilts as the island is mainly mud flats.

We arranged for our private driver Patrick to pick us up at our accommodation in Kuala Lumpur and bring us here for the day. Patrick was also looking forward to it because he hadn't been to Crab Island in a while. Please check out my transport tip if you want Patrick to take you here too.

It's interesting to see how the other half live. Here, there was a mixture of nice houses right on the water front as you can expect, quaint little homes in the streets just behind the water front and larger homes in what you would call the rural areas outside the main village. More about that in my travelogues.

Also, as you can see, there were plenty of opportunities for photography enthusiasts like hubby and me :o)

Pictured here is one of the larger homes in the rural area behind the main village. As you can see, most people own a boat.

There are no cars on the island. Everyone uses a bicycle. The island has markets in the main street, a Police station, a big school, a couple of Temples, awesome seafood restaurants as you can imagine :o) and accommodation for those that miss the last ferry.

I invite you to grab a drink of your choice, sit back, relax and check out my story in the travelogues below.

• Pros:Fresh Seafood! Enjoyable walk. Lovely sights.
  • Cons:Could do with a rubbish clean up
  • In a nutshell:Great day trip from Kuala Lumpur
  • Last visit to Pulau Ketam: Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2013

Comments

aussirose

“Latest Photo shoot - Macro. Pink Roses and Bee.”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Ketam

Have you been to Pulau Ketam?