"Pulau Ketam - A Quaint Fishing Village on Stilts" Pulau Ketam by aussirose
Pulau Ketam Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 44 photos
Pulau Ketam is on the west coast of Malaysia about a little over an hour from Kuala Lumpur and another half hour by ferry from Klang Port. As the name suggests, the place is overrun by crabs when the tide goes out.
The interesting thing about Pulau Ketam is that the whole village is built on stilts as the island is mainly mud flats.
We arranged for our private driver Patrick to pick us up at our accommodation in Kuala Lumpur and bring us here for the day. Patrick was also looking forward to it because he hadn't been to Crab Island in a while. Please check out my transport tip if you want Patrick to take you here too.
It's interesting to see how the other half live. Here, there was a mixture of nice houses right on the water front as you can expect, quaint little homes in the streets just behind the water front and larger homes in what you would call the rural areas outside the main village. More about that in my travelogues.
Also, as you can see, there were plenty of opportunities for photography enthusiasts like hubby and me :o)
Pictured here is one of the larger homes in the rural area behind the main village. As you can see, most people own a boat.
There are no cars on the island. Everyone uses a bicycle. The island has markets in the main street, a Police station, a big school, a couple of Temples, awesome seafood restaurants as you can imagine :o) and accommodation for those that miss the last ferry.
I invite you to grab a drink of your choice, sit back, relax and check out my story in the travelogues below.
- Pros:Fresh Seafood! Enjoyable walk. Lovely sights.
- Cons:Could do with a rubbish clean up
- In a nutshell:Great day trip from Kuala Lumpur
Here is Patrick our private driver from Kuala Lumpur. Every time we come to KL, we email Patrick. We have become good... more travel advice
aussirose's Related Pages
Pulau Ketam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Ketam - A Quaint Fishing Village on Stilts"
- "45mins From Civilisation"
- "Typical fisherman village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Ketam
- Transportation in Pulau Ketam
- Restaurants in Pulau Ketam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Ketam
- 3 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Pulau Ketam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Ketam
- Posted in Travel Perth Forum "Re: Places to see in Perth &..."
- Commented on one of aussirose's Pulau Ketam tips
- Wrote a Review Pulau Ketam with Private Driver Patrick in Pulau Ketam Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pulau Ketam with Private Driver Patrick"
- updated a Pulau Ketam Travelogue "Interesting Sights on Crab Island by aussirose"
Photos in Pulau KetamSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 41 reviews, 244 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 64 reviews, 140 photos, 6 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 20 reviews, 166 photos, 10 travelogues
- Darwin Intro, 26 reviews, 157 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Margaret River Intro, 30 reviews, 147 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 22 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 9 reviews, 157 photos, 18 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 18 reviews, 148 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 28 reviews, 132 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 127 photos, 11 travelogues