"Iceland - in winter!" Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Region by tvdm

Reykjavík Region Travel Guide: 1,589 reviews and 4,185 photos

Here we go again!!!

Going there for the fourth time must be a good sign! Once I was on my merry way back in early 2004 to taste the the delights of Reykjavík, there was little persuasion necessary: I'd definitely drop by again. And so I did, a few month later. This time I was there with a friend for a weekend. There wasn't an awful lot of sightseeing on the schedule, more eating and drinking but who cares? The nightlife is one of the things this city is famed for and that was the main purpose of the trip! Finally, a stop-over on the way to the States in 2006 gave me another opportunity to quickly drop by and in January 2007, I'll was there for another great weekend!

On this page you'll find an overview of many delights Reykjavík and the surrounding countryside have to offer. It deffo ensures you won't be bored, just make sure you're there for a weekend, as you don't want to miss the riot that are the young Reykjavíkurs on a Saturday night! The next day, visit the harbour for a refreshing start of the new week and ponder about what café to visit next for another pot of delish coffee. Hmm, I already feel like going back again for a while!

To give a bit more background info: Iceland had always been on top of my to-go list. Because of time and money restrictions, things had been pushed back all the time, but ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated with that steaming corner in the cold North Atlantic.

January 2004 was to be the first time: in pursuit of some polar darkness I sampled some of Reykjavík's quirky nightlife and cured my hangover in a bubbling pool - not with aurora borealis overhead, but I guess we couldn't have it all. Nonetheless, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and managed to have a great long weekend away near the Arctic!

In October 2004 I went again, purely to hang out and let loose in Reykjavík for a weekend. Again it was great, and this time I did spot the Northern Lights! Who said things couldn't get any better? :-) Well, they could.

After a short transfer in May 2006 I finally managed to get a group together and flew over again in January 2007. This one was basically a rerun of the very first trip PLUS some of the most beautiful winter weater one could wish for. You'll find all the details here!

• Pros:Friendly people and nature pure!
  • Cons:Very expensive place!
  • In a nutshell:Worth every penny, but save a lot of them!
  • Last visit to Reykjavík Region: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 31, 2007

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2007 at 1:09 AM

Hi Theo. I really enjoyed your tips and fantastic photos here! The "nightlife guide" indeed sounds like an interesting idea for tourists, haha! Greetings from a much hotter place / Jess in Dubai :-)

• Dominiques's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2007 at 2:55 AM

Heerlijke foto's. Groeten, Dominique

• Cheba's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 11:58 AM

Hey...you know Iceland most unique Scandinavian place I think...They kept own singularity from viking time! Anyway nice page for Reykjavík!

• Christianne's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 8:30 PM

Although I don't like the cold weather and the snow, it looks like an interesting place!

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2005 at 8:44 AM

Looks definitely exotic and very interesting destination - I would certainly try visiting in the winter when the hot water and ice around make an unique combination. Roasterie near Keflavik is my architectural favourite among your (beautiful) photos.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 12:39 PM

Definitely on my "must visit" list. I like the idea of a nightlife guide - I hope the idea catches on here! (I'm usually the guy from West Nebraska.)

• willhaigh's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2005 at 8:49 AM

Hey Theo... Thanks for your ratings and comments.... as I reciprocate in kind. Maybe I'll see you in Reykjavik!

• Astralka's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 4:20 AM

perhaps graveyards get such Christmas decoration because people visit graves at this time of the year to burn candles and lay garlands for their dead relatives (we do it in 'Czechoslovakia' )

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 3:48 PM

Bjork is one of my inspirations to visit here, too (I'm planning on next year). Outstanding photos & very helpful tips, esp. re: the language course & the apt. for rent! Am envious you've been here twice!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 1:12 PM

Your photos really capture the mood -- well worth clicking on!

tvdm Visits Here Frequently!

tvdm

“Seize the day and see the world!”

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík Region

Have you been to Reykjavík Region?

Latest Activity in Reykjavík Region