"Wijk en Aalburg" Wijk by tvdm

Wijk Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 10 photos

Childhood memories!

Although I was born in 's-Hertogenbosch (see my VT page of that city), I grew up in this little town. It's the archetypical quiet village, but as there has been no VT-activity in this area so far, I thought it was about time I'd enlighten the world about my childhood surroundings!

Silence is golden

Amidst the safe and quiet surroundings of the country's broad rivers, I lived here until I turned 21, never to return since. My parents and most of my extended family still live here and I love coming home to visit, if only for the peace and quiet this place offers! Our house, for instance, is located next to vast fields. For how long is always an uncertainty - you can't stop progress - but it's still hardly a metropolis...

Nothing examplifies its rural roots better than a Sunday stroll: this area is still firmly in the Bible Belt and strict Calvinist regimented morals are pretty much the norm for a large part of the original population. This means that, apart from attending church, any leisure activity on a Sunday is verboten and many everyday things like watching telly, going out to bars and meeting people from other cultures and religions are frowned upon. My parents have always been of a much milder disposition, which explains why I'm not considered a "typical" local :-)

A bit o' backgound info

The town is officially called "Wijk en Aalburg", thereby uniting the two villages Wijk and Aalburg into one. For whatever reason VT still separates the two, although they have been living in peaceful unison for more than 200 years.
Anyway, they used to be separate but a 5-minute walk from one church to the next can hardly qualify as a modern border these days!

The name "Aalburg" was already mentioned in a document dating from the late 9th century. The etymological link with the Danish city of Aalborg hasn't been established, but isn't unlikely either as marauders from the North have roamed these lands on various occasions! These days, most people just say "Wijk" but they mean to address the entire village. To even things out a bit and not to upset the Aalburgers too much, it was decided to officially name the municipality "Aalburg", thereby also registering this name officially in the national archives. Of course, the fact that Aalburg places the municipality in alphabetical first place on the national list also helped to make this decision :-)

Wijk is considered far away from the bustle of big city life. Although of course, in Holland "far" is only a relative notion. It's only a 15-minute drive from the nearest large town: Den Bosch to the south-east. But Dutch people don't travel far and wide beyond their immediate home town and even a one-hour drive is considered a day's journey! The map will clear things up a bit. See my Heusden and Nederhemert VT-pages for info on those charming towns!

• Pros:Quiet, safe, friendly!
  • Cons:Its quietness can easily change to boredom!
  • In a nutshell:Hey, it's my childhood turf, what can I say?
  • Last visit to Wijk: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2005

tvdm

“Seize the day and see the world!”

Badges & Stats in Wijk