"Ancient Beauty" Tarquinia by cuckoo
Tarquinia Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 20 photos
The town of Tarquinia, set high upon a rocky platform, is a 70 minute train ride away from Rome.It was one of 3 major Etruscan cities, the others being present-day Vulci and Civeteri (great wine from here) It is famous for its Etruscan Burial Ground, set on the outskirts of the town. According to legend, the town was founded in the 12C or 13C BC.Standing on the banks of the Marta River, Tarquinia was a busy port and in the 6C BC ruled the coast of Etruria.The town was decimated by malaria in the 4C BC andwas sacked by the Lombards in the 7C AD. The inhabitants then moved to the present site, about a mile to the north east of its original position. The burial ground is set high on a windswept ridge, parrallel with that on which the former Etruscan city stood. I took this picture looking over to the site of the old city. You can still tell, by the lie of the land, how it would have been. There are many tombs at this site, but as they are opened in rotation to protect them, you may not see the same ones as us.
A closer picture of the Ark. I was trying to get across some of the detail that has gone into this piece of work, but... more travel advice
I took this picture from the first floor balcony of the Museum in Tarquinia. The view from here was wonderful. You can... more travel advice
cuckoo's Related Pages
Tarquinia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The most famous Etruscan necropolis"
- "Ancient Beauty"
- "Here Is An Etruscan Museum and A Nearby Tomb Site"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarquinia
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Tarquinia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarquinia
Photos in TarquiniaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Havana Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Instow Intro, 2 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Schaffhausen Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Tarquinia Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Trevignano Romano 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico City Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Viterbo 6 photos, 1 travelogue