"Beautiful Basque Country" Basque Country by Radiomom
Basque Country Travel Guide: 1,521 reviews and 4,266 photos
We based ourselved in Lekeitio, a small port on the Atlantic coast for 3 days and 2 nights. While San Sebastian (SP) and St Jean de Luz (FR) are more famous as beach resorts, we found the little port villages along the coast to be easier to negotiate and quite beautiful. During the summer seasons, it looks like the tourist industry thrives in these places. Off-season it was still warm enough to notice some people on the beaches, but you felt like "real life" was more evident to a visitor...children in school, people making repairs to buildings, roads, etc.
It is also clear that the people around you are speaking Basque and not Spanish. Since our even our Spanish is minimal, we were a bit worried about communicating, but it wasn't really a problem.
The political issues -- Basque separatists vs. the Spanish government -- are long standing. We saw small demonstrations and lots of flags flying, but people were very friendly and we didn't ever feel uncomfortable.
This page is "under construction" as I sort through photos and verify my tip information.
- Pros:Beautiful country, coast, good wine, wonderful seafood
- Cons:Possible language issues
- In a nutshell:Fascinating people, beautiful country
On a Sunday night, we were unsure what might be open so we asked the helpful woman at the desk at Hotel Zubieta, and she... more travel advice
Radiomom's Related Pages
Basque Country Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Tunnel Route Camino, Irun to Santo Domingo"
- "THE BASQUE COUNTRY-PAYS BASQUE-PAIS VASCO"
- "The more specyal piece"
- "Basque Country an ancient nation in Europe"
- "Euskal Herria"
- "Basque Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basque Country
- Hotels in Basque Country
- Transportation in Basque Country
- Nightlife in Basque Country
- Restaurants in Basque Country
- Shopping in Basque Country
- Warnings and Dangers in Basque Country
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Basque Country
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Basque Country?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basque Country
Top 10 Pages
- Italy Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Paris Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Intro, 8 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Botswana Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bourgogne Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maryland Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue