"UNESCO World Heritage Site in Le-Puy-en-Velay" Top 5 Page for this destination Le Puy-en-Velay by Radiomom
Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 265 photos
We were driving across France, from Provence to Paris with the plan to stop in Chartres for two nights before we turned in our car after a month-long road trip of Northern Spain and Southern France. The beautiful landscape leading up to Le Puy was a bonus. The city turned out to give us way more than we had expected and we were happy to have a long autumn afternoon to explore it.
One of your first impressions is based on the brick-red Madonna and Child that looks out over the city from it's highest point.
The cobblestone streets of the historical center of town are filled with shops and restaurants. You can get a great walking tour of the city at the Tourist Office. Le Puy is famous for lace making, and that is clear from the displays in many shop windows. The architecture spans all the way back to the 11th century.
The entire street, via Podensis, which climbs up to the Cathedral (included in the designation) has been named a World Heritage Site. More pictures are available in my "must see" tips.
- Pros:Beautiful Architecture, Great Tourist Office
- Cons:Driving into a city isn't lots of fun!
- In a nutshell:It is set up for tourists -- but seems to be busy off season, too.
This place looks a bit hokey from the outside -- is it going to be TOO touristy? Well, in a word WHO CARES! The food was... more travel advice
Radiomom's Related Pages
Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bit of Orient. . . ."
- "Le Puy-en-Velay … or just Le Puy to most!"
- "RELIGION ABOUNDS IN LE-PUY-EN-VELAY"
- "A UNIQUE HISTORICAL PLACE"
- "UNESCO World Heritage Site in Le-Puy-en-Velay"
- "A mad train trip"
- "Le Puy en Velay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Hotels in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Restaurants in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Shopping in Le Puy-en-Velay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Le Puy-en-Velay
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Le Puy-en-Velay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Generation Kill"
- Commented on one of tiabunna's Le Puy-en-Velay travel pages
- Wrote a Review Step Back in Time in Le Puy-en-Velay Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take the Tourist Office Walking Tour"
- created a Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Page "UNESCO World Heritage Site in Le-Puy-en-Velay"
Photos in Le Puy-en-VelaySee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Italy Intro, 26 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Paris Intro, 22 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 17 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Rémy-de-Provence Intro, 8 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Botswana Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bourgogne Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maryland Intro, 14 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue