"An early garden city" Welwyn Garden City by colin_bramso
Welwyn Garden City Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 71 photos
My family lives in and around WGC so we visit quite often but I haven't taken photographs before this last trip. Even then I didn't take many - I'll try to do better on future trips so that I can build the page properly.
WGC was built in the 1920s on empty land as one of the first of the garden cities, experimental new towns planned to be built in agricultural areas and limited in size. A revolutionary idea at the time, they would combine urban and rural living.
The original central area is beautiful but it's sadly now surrounded by a sprawl of industrial areas and cheap, ugly, low-cost housing estates.
From the railway station in the centre of the town it's an easy half hour trip into central London. That puts the town and surrounding area firmly into commuter territory.
The station has been developed to include a shopping mall and the town centre itself has a variety of shops, including a John Lewis department store and a choice of big-name supermarkets plus varied small local shops, cafes and a couple of pubs.
Only about forty minutes' drive from WGC is Whipsnade, the UK's largest zoo, set in 600 acres of the Chiltern Hills.... more travel advice
colin_bramso's Related Pages
Welwyn Garden City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's second garden city"
- "An early garden city"
- "Peace and quiet at Welwyn"
- "Welwyn Garden City"
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "It sucks the life from the sky"
- "My home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Welwyn Garden City
- Hotels in Welwyn Garden City
- Transportation in Welwyn Garden City
- Nightlife in Welwyn Garden City
- Restaurants in Welwyn Garden City
- Shopping in Welwyn Garden City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Welwyn Garden City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Welwyn Garden City
Photos in Welwyn Garden CitySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 139 reviews, 576 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 26 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Terrigal Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 16 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 7 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Belait Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue