"The Peak Park's largest village." Youlgreave by colin_bramso
Youlgreave Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 47 photos
It may not be touristy but plenty of walkers go through it, or use it as a base, because the walks through the surrounding countryside are wonderful.
I love the narrow country lanes too all around the area, lined with dry stone walls, again made of the local stone, with lush greenery and wildflowers in summer.
The village is a mixture of some very old houses and fairly new ones but all are built in the same style and of the same local materials. It's an interesting mixture of small cottages, shops with accommodation over, terraces and some very large free-standing houses.
Of the pubs my favourite is The George Hotel. Pubs are the social centres of villages and this is typical - friendly people, good beer and wines, great food and a relaxing, enjoyable evening out.
Opposite is the church, which is worth a visit for the hundreds of years of history it contains.
The main street, narrow and built long before motor vehicles were invented, has shops selling groceries, fresh foods, a butcher, post office, a garage/petrol station as well as pubs, churches, a school and accommodation for holiday makers.
Youlgreave has an active social scene with typical English village activities, a real sense of community and the residents are proud of their village.
The focal points are the churches and chapels, of which there are five, the pubs, of which there are three in the main street, and the village hall.
Below you'll find a Travelogue and some Tips, which I hope you enjoy - just scroll down if you're interested.
The George Hotel is a popular local pub located right in the centre of the village, a friendly place with a great... more travel advice
A typical English village pub with friendly people, a good atmosphere, a main lounge bar, two smaller bar rooms and a... more travel advice
colin_bramso's Related Pages
Youlgreave Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Youlgreave
- Hotels in Youlgreave
- Nightlife in Youlgreave
- Restaurants in Youlgreave
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Youlgreave
- 4 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Youlgreave?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Youlgreave
Photos in YoulgreaveSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 136 reviews, 566 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 33 reviews, 137 photos
- Sydney Intro, 26 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Terrigal Intro, 24 reviews, 89 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 16 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 7 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Belait Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue