"My very favourite place." Top 5 Page for this destination New Forest by colin_bramso

New Forest Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 137 photos

The New Forest is my favourite place in the world. I love the freedom of the place, the open space, the animals running free. In a small country as crowded as England, where much of the countryside is private or farming land which you can't walk freely on, the New Forest is a refreshing, relaxing change.

It's about 385 square kilometres of open land which you can walk around, a mixture of ancient forest, new plantations and a lot of open heathland.

This is a great place to get away from the crowds and the pollution of the cities, wander around unspoiled nature, mingle with the animals.

But it also has the cities of Southampton and Bournemouth, with all their facilities, at either side of the forest, plus historic Winchester & Salisbury just to the north.

And to the south is the water, with seaside towns such as Milford on Sea, and beautiful old towns such as Lymington on the Solent.

So it just about has something for everyone, whether you want to stay with nature, visit cities, have a seaside holiday or absorb history.

Much of the New Forest is not forest at all, it's actually open heathland. The grass everywhere is immaculately manicured, as though a huge team of gardeners are constantly at work. In fact it's done by the grazing of the animals - ponies, deer, cattle and others, that roam freely all across the area.

I have much more about the New Forest in my big Travelogue on my UNITED KINGDOM page, and I've built a Travelogue on this page - just scroll down and click on the link below to go to it.

I've also built individual pages about several places and you'll find them under Beaulieu, Lymington, Lyndhurst.

• Last visit to New Forest: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 1, 2011

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM

A nice little page - I'm going to the New Forest tomorrow. Let's see how many ponies I meet!

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2007 at 3:46 PM

I am planning my next trip to the UK and have included the New Forest. Loved your tips...fascinating about the ponies coming right into the villages!...thanks

colin_bramso Used To Live Here!

colin_bramso

“Life`s too short to drink bad coffee”

Badges & Stats in New Forest

Have you been to New Forest?

Latest Activity in New Forest