"My very favourite place." Top 5 Page for this destination New Forest by colin_bramso
New Forest Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 140 photos
It's about 385 square kilometres of open land which you can walk around, a mixture of ancient forest, new plantations and a lot of open heathland.
This is a great place to get away from the crowds and the pollution of the cities, wander around unspoiled nature, mingle with the animals.
But it also has the cities of Southampton and Bournemouth, with all their facilities, at either side of the forest, plus historic Winchester & Salisbury just to the north.
And to the south is the water, with seaside towns such as Milford on Sea, and beautiful old towns such as Lymington on the Solent.
So it just about has something for everyone, whether you want to stay with nature, visit cities, have a seaside holiday or absorb history.
Much of the New Forest is not forest at all, it's actually open heathland. The grass everywhere is immaculately manicured, as though a huge team of gardeners are constantly at work. In fact it's done by the grazing of the animals - ponies, deer, cattle and others, that roam freely all across the area.
I have much more about the New Forest in my big Travelogue on my UNITED KINGDOM page, and I've built a Travelogue on this page - just scroll down and click on the link below to go to it.
I've also built individual pages about several places and you'll find them under Beaulieu, Lymington, Lyndhurst.
The free-roaming animals have right of way throughout the forest. They're not very clever when it comes to traffic, so... more travel advice
Herds of cattle wander freely over the New Forest, their owners having ancient grazing rights. And there are thousands... more travel advice
colin_bramso's Related Pages
New Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful heather and horses in the New Forest"
- "England's smallest and newest national park"
- "Get lost in the New Forest"
- "My very favourite place."
- "Neither New Nor All Forest"
- "The New Forest & its wildlife"
- "New Forest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Forest
- Hotels in New Forest
- Transportation in New Forest
- Restaurants in New Forest
- Warnings and Dangers in New Forest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Forest
- 5 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to New Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Forest
Photos in New ForestSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 136 reviews, 566 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 33 reviews, 137 photos
- Sydney Intro, 27 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Terrigal Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 16 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 7 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Belait Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue