"Friendly, chaotic, polluted, fascinating..." Cairo by colin_bramso
Cairo Travel Guide: 3,987 reviews and 9,544 photos
The historic things - the pyramids for example - are mind-boggling, even though you've seen them a million times in photos and films.
But everywhere is dirty, polluted, uncared for and crumbling, there's garbage lying around everywhere, the traffic is horrendous. Everyone expects a tip - Geina was guided across a dangerous road by a traffic cop and he had to be tipped, for example.
And around the tourist sites and the hotels the security is oppressive and, to me, disconcerting rather than reassuring.
The ancient artifacts, conveniently so close to the city, are a true wonder. There's the classic Three Pyramids of Giza & the Sphinx, but also the less spectacular and, I thought, more interesting first pyramid.
That one was stepped, rather than the later sheer-side shape, because presumably the engineers hadn't worked out how to do it. The inside of the tomb with the hieroglyphics is just mind boggling - the minute detail on them, the depiction of daily life is astonishing. I could spend many days in there just reading the stories depicted by the hieroglyphics.
The Egyptian Museum has an astonishing collection of treasures, from the gold mask of Tutankhamun to mundane every-day items.
Contrasted with the ancient civilisation is the modern city - and it's a step backwards! Like all cities it's swamped by traffic, but unlike many others there are no emission controls - or if there are no-one obeys them. I've never seen so many old cars driving around - typical are the the taxis, which are all 1970's Fiats. The pollution is truly awful. Crossing the road means risking your life because no-one obeys any traffic laws.
There is decay all around, buildings, footpaths, walls, roads all crumbling and uncared for. Added to that is the problem of litter everywhere, papers, bags, fast-food cartons, drinks cans & bottles are on every street, along the banks of the Nile and even all around the pyramids. I know that at least some of it is left by tourists, but there seems to be no attempt to clean it up.
A true five-star resort with friendly, helpful staff and a choice of seven bars and restaurants. It's away from the... more travel advice
The Egyptian Museum has a couple of souvenir & postcard shops within it. My advice is not to buy there but to go to L&L,... more travel advice
colin_bramso's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "~ Cairo ~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
- Posted in Travel Dubai Forum "Re: Request for advice on..."
- updated a Cairo Travel Page "Friendly, chaotic, polluted, fascinating..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Friendly, chaotic, polluted, fascinating..."
- Wrote a Review Superb five-star resort in Cairo Hotels
- Commented on one of Geoff_Wright's Cairo travel pages
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 139 reviews, 576 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 26 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Terrigal Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 16 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 7 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Belait Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue