"The Sunshine State capital" Brisbane by colin_bramso

Brisbane Travel Guide: 1,661 reviews and 3,740 photos

Many favourite tourist areas such as the Sunshine Coast, Whitsunday Islands & the Great Barrier Reef were not listed on the original VirtualTourist. Now they've been added, I'll begin to include them individually, but it will take a while to build. At the moment they are in my Australia Travelogue, if you'd like to go there.

Brisbane is capital of Queensland, the Sunshine State that is in the north-east of Australia, and Australia's third largest city. Not too many years ago, southerners called it a big country town - well, not any more! It's now a modern, thriving city with high-rise office blocks stretching along the Brisbane River which flows through the city. But it still retains its laid back sub-tropical charm, with attractive older style buildings renovated and maintained, many traditional wooden 'Queenslander' houses close to the city centre, parks and gardens.

It has a modern international airport, plenty of accommodation from backpacker to five star luxury, many cafes and restaurants offering the huge range of cuisines from around the world that we've become used to in Australia, huge shopping malls along with smaller parades of local shops.

North of the city is the beautiful Sunshine Coast with its smaller and more stylish holiday areas. South is Australia's favourite holiday destination, the Gold Coast which includes the famous Surfers Paradise. This is where the family theme parks are located.

I haven't taken many photographs of Brisbane - I'll make sure I do next time we drive up there - but I've built a short Travelogue with some of the photos I have which I hope will give a feeling for the city.

Just click the tab to reach it.

• Intro Updated Mar 20, 2012

Travelogues (1)

colin_bramso

“Life`s too short to drink bad coffee”

Badges & Stats in Brisbane

Have you been to Brisbane?

Latest Activity in Brisbane