"The Entrance" The Entrance by colin_bramso
The Entrance Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 14 photos
It's been a popular holiday destination for a long time in Australian terms, its first guest house being established about 120 years ago. It's popular with both Sydneysiders and people from much further away.
A big, popular and fascinating attraction is the pelican feeding at 3.30pm each day. It began years ago when the local fish & chip shop threw unwanted scraps to the birds. Word spread amongst the pelican population, more and more turned up and it became a regular and well-organised attraction. It now has corporate sponsors, a special viewing area and feeding platform.
It amazes me to see the pelicans start to gather about half an hour before the feeding - how do they know the time?
The centre of The Entrance has water on three sides, ocean and lakes, and the waterfront is a stunningly beautiful area. On the low hill leading down to it are the shops, cafes, restaurants, take-aways and also a hotel.
The town was given its name, by the way, because the area is the entrance of the coastal waters into the ocean. Inland is a huge system of lakes, including Tuggerah Lake which itself is 12km x 8km.
The choice of ocean or inland water makes the area ideal for all kind of water sports including water-skiing, canoeing, sailing, rowing and sail boarding. Fishing is excellent too, including prawns which are plentiful in mid-summer.
colin_bramso's Related Pages
The Entrance Travel Guide
- Things to Do in The Entrance
- Hotels in The Entrance
- Restaurants in The Entrance
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Entrance
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to The Entrance?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Entrance
Photos in The EntranceSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 132 reviews, 548 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 33 reviews, 137 photos
- Sydney Intro, 26 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Terrigal Intro, 23 reviews, 80 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 16 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- United Kingdom Intro, 7 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Belait Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue