"Laid-back Kuala Belait" Kuala Belait by colin_bramso
Kuala Belait Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 104 photos
We were in Kuala Belait, which isn't a tourist destination but is the heart of the oil & gas business that dominates the country's economy.
Brunei is a very small country with a population of only about 400,000 in total so everything is relative to that. KB is the country's second largest city but has a population of only around 30,000.
It's small, very compact, with a tiny town centre only about half a kilometre square, which runs back from the beautiful River Belait, but it has just about all you need. The hotels are located here and the three streets of shops sell a wide range of items. There are department stores, supermarkets, grocery stores, chemists, medical dispensaries, clothing & shoes, electronics, banks with ATMs, bakeries and more.
For eating there's a choice of cafes and restaurants offering western and Asian food, some located in the hotels and others owned by independent operators.
The river bank is a pleasant place to walk along and there are a couple of new and nicely landscaped small parks alongside the river. The park next to the Plaza Sutera Biru hotel has a small hawker centre with a choice of about ten food stalls.
The atmosphere of KB is very relaxed and laid back, the people we dealt with were very pleasant and friendly, no-one was madly rushing about as they do in so many towns and cities. Traffic is light and drivers automatically stop for pedestrians at the crossings - amazing if you're used to Dubai's drivers as I am!
We quickly got to know the place and felt very comfortable and 'at home'.
I've built a Travelogue with some more photos, plus Tips.
Being almost on the equator, Brunei has torrential tropical rain. To prevent flooding, the streets have large open... more travel advice
The restaurant is in Plaza Sutera Biru hotel and is in two separate parts, one in the hotel's lobby and the other just... more travel advice
colin_bramso's Related Pages
Kuala Belait Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Memories of Innocent Passions of Youth"
- "Laid-back Kuala Belait"
- "KB United"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuala Belait
- Hotels in Kuala Belait
- Transportation in Kuala Belait
- Restaurants in Kuala Belait
- Shopping in Kuala Belait
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuala Belait
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kuala Belait
- 9 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Kuala Belait?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuala Belait
Photos in Kuala BelaitSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 138 reviews, 571 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 30 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 26 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Terrigal Intro, 22 reviews, 72 photos
- United Arab Emirates Intro, 16 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 7 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Belait Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue