"Climbing Up Mt. Sinai At Night !" Muhafazat Janub Sina' by coceng
Muhafazat Janub Sina' Travel Guide: 1,735 reviews and 3,340 photos
I arrived on top of Mt. Sinai on the early hour, on the 22nd at about 4 am !
Couldn't believe that on the morning of 21st April, I was in Petra ! Then to Aqaba; Ferry to Nuweiba in Egypt; Service taxi to Dahab & left Dahab at about 11 pm to reach the foot of Mt. Sinai at about 1 am on Friday ! Phew !
Before reaching Mt. Sinai, we had to pay for the ticket (I thought that the journey would also included the ticket price, that's not the case...).
Anyway, at the foot of Mt. Sinai, there were some shops opened so I asked one of them if they could take care of my luggage & I would get it back maybe around 6 or 7 am when I could catch the bus to Cairo would depart from St. Katherine Monastery.
They were hesitated at first but one shopkeeper said yes to my luggage but he's not sure about the bus to Cairo the following morning...
I said thank you to him & promised him that I would collect back my luggage at 6 or 7 am, once I get down from Mt. Sinai.
Lucky that I had a torchlight with me, I started to walk.
I was wondering if I got no torchlight, then the walk would be slow...
Craggy rocks, big & smalls...we have to pass through.
The path was easy to spot either by my torchlight or from the moon light, anyhow.
The chilly wind would dry away my sweat, no that I walked any faster.
My small backpack sometimes was to heavy...but I was okay.
Feeling good, thinking of all the places around Lebanon, Syria & Jordan that I had passed through...
I almost forgot my woe in Jordan when ALL my digital photos from Madaba & Petra were lost forever !
Read about it HERE...
It was a nice walk...
I heard people's voices at the front.
I saw camels going up & down as well. Sometimes transporting people from behind me or asking me whether I wanted the camel service to go up !
It's so funny when the camel guys, each one of them...said to me, "It's far ! Take camel !"
I kept on saying, "La ! Shukran !"
No, Thank You.
Muslims, Christians & Jews revered to Mt. Sinai !
We believe that God delivered his Ten Commandments to Prophet Moses, at its summit.
The local name for this mountain is Gebel Musa, sits at a height of 2285 m.
It towers over St. Katherine Monatery which is one of the earliest Christianity churches still survived today.
It could take 3 to 4 hours or more, depending on your strength, to hike/walk up to the summit.
It can either be done at night or in the day time (any time actually...) hence if doing it at night, a torch is a must !
The trails are craggy, rocky but easy climb up !
Better still, get a camel to bring you up there.
There are Bedouins still living at large in this area.
Most people would like to see the sunrise or the sunset when being at the summit.
There's also a small Greek Orthodox Church at the top but it remains closed all the times.
Remember if whatever time of the day that you want to go up the summit, you won't be sharing it alone but with almost all the nationalities in this world !
Along the hike to the top, there are stop points where you can drinks or rest...BUT it is advisable that you fill in your stomach before doing the hiking & bring enough drinks (mineral water is best) to accompany you to the summit.
The drinks sold at these stop points are so expensive !
Of course you MUST drink to go up !
Most people would reach St. Katherine Monastery or climbing up Mt. Sinai as a day excursion from Dahab ( 2 hours away ), Nuweiba or Sharm El-Sheikh...3 big towns in the Sinai Peninsula.
It is possible to reach here also from Cairo ( 6 hours away ), either by orgarnized trips or on your own.
A reminder : Just make sure you are well-informed of the buses OUT from Mt. Sinai, to your next destination or back to Cairo !
- Pros:A Biblical Hiking Experience ! Amazing Views ! A Life Time Experience !
- Cons:Don't Pay For The Drinks Sold Here ! They are 10 Times MORE than what you pay in your own country !
- In a nutshell:A Great Day Trip From Dahab, Nuweiba Or Sharm El Sheikh...
A small backpack would do to put your stuffs... Wear walking shoes even stillettos is possible ! It's chilly up there... more travel advice
Written Jul 23, 2005
Up & Down Mt. Sinai !
Written Jun 14, 2005
Paid Trip To Cairo !
coceng's Related Pages
Muhafazat Janub Sina' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Climbing the Holy Mountain"
- "The Sinai"
- "Climbing Up Mount Sinai"
- "Climbing Up Mt. Sinai At Night !"
- "Majestic Sunrise in Mt. Sinai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Hotels in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Transportation in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Nightlife in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Restaurants in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Shopping in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Warnings and Dangers in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- 36 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Muhafazat Janub Sina'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muhafazat Janub Sina'
Photos in Muhafazat Janub Sina'See All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaling Jaya Intro, 156 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 129 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Batu Caves Intro, 119 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 104 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Baalbeck Intro, 89 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tripoli Intro, 92 reviews, 96 photos
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Apamea Intro, 74 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 54 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues