"The Place That I Want to Live In..." Top 5 Page for this destination Bled by coceng

Bled Travel Guide: 769 reviews and 1,843 photos

SMLEDNIK<<<<<BLED>>>>>TRIGLAV NATIONAL PARK

SLOVENIA
Bled is my town. My type of town. I wanna live here forever. Can somebody add a tune to that ?Saturday 21st June 2003
Day 1
Reaching here is amazing. The bus journey from Ljubljana gave evidence that Slovenes are beautiful people with beautiful towns. Polite people who speak very good English & helpful. To how many Eastern European countries can we say that ?
Got off the bus & looked for Youth Hostel. It's one of the most beautiful Youth Hostels in Europe. Got to check that out. Beautiful Hostels normally attract beautiful people. I was very right. Full mark !
Everybody was chatty here at the Youth Hostel by the name of Bledec Pension. It has a name not just Yoof Hostel.
Rested for a while, took shower. Dig out some naughty insects who wanted to make me their places to breed. I was sleeping in a camping ground the previous night, y'see.
Bled was amazing. Beautiful islet with a medieval church. I am a sucker for this. Circled Lake Bled, circled the islet, went there by a 'gondola' look-alike.
Ignored the holiday-makers with their swimming gears & their kids. Ignored the expensive hotels & restaurants which lied on the bank of Lake Bled. Watching people. Had a good meal, spaghetti. Although the waiter reminded me that this is in Slovenia & not Italy. He came back with Slovenian spaghetti. Hhmm, thicker !
Back to the Yoof Hostel. Had a multi-racial smells in my dormitory. Me one Asian. Good.
Swedish, British, American, Greek, New Zealander; all comparing notes & guidebook infos from our previous European cruisings. Told the Swedish woman (she's so big !) that I might be going to her birthplace next year. "Expensive, you know." I couldn't answer back because it was not a question.
Slept well that night. Although the guy on my top (bunk bed) made the bed creaked many times. Maybe scribbling something to his girlfriend back home.

Continue...

Location :

Bled is situated in the extreme northwestern part of Slovenia, at the foot of the Julian Alps and also between the Sava Bohinjka and Sava Dolinka Rivers.

How to reach Bled :

It is easy to reach Bled in all seasons. The Lesce-Bled railway station (4 km) lies on the Villach - Jesenice - Ljubljana - Belgrade - Istanbul - Athens Railway lines. It is approximately 45 km from the national borders with Austria (Wurzenpass - Korensko sedlo) and Italy (Fusine Laghi - Rate?e). The nearest international airport at Brnik is 36 km away. Bled is connected with all larger towns in Slovenia by regular bus routes.

Infos on Bled :

Altitude 501 m, Castle Hill 604 m, Mt. Stra?a 646 m. Number of inhabitants 5476. Tourist capacity 4000 beds. Lake: altitude 475 m, length 2120 m, width 1380 m, area 144 ha, maximum depth 30.6 m, maximum annual water temperature 24oC.

Climate :

Bled's is a mild, healthy sub-Alpine climate with the longest swimming season of any Alpine resort. The ridges of the Julian Alps and the Karavanke protect it from the chilly northern winds. During the summer months there is no fog. The average monthly temperature in July is 19oC and in January -1.7oC.

• Pros:A Hilltop Castle, An Islet In The Beautiful Lake & Triglav Is Looming In The Near Distance
  • Cons:Too Many Tourists !
  • In a nutshell:A Hidden But An Easy Reach Attraction In Slovenia
  • Last visit to Bled: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2004

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 12:51 PM

What a beautiful place it is-you've brought back memories of my visits there:-)Diana

• topoftheworl's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2005 at 6:53 PM

A labor of love. Well done.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2005 at 8:04 AM

Very good information & beautiful photos on Bled ! Thanks a lot for sharing.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 11:27 AM

Arnaud, great page with useful information. Ehmmm, I already visited Bled about 20 years ago with my parents .... :o)

• razzz's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2004 at 10:52 AM

how long is the bus ride and how much?? Thanks!

• Biljana's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2003 at 1:00 AM

Yup Bled is certainly amazing, I am not suprised you would like to live there!

• bonvoyageur's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2003 at 9:25 AM

Arnaud, great page, awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you found some beautiful things there...;-)

• travelmad478's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2003 at 6:46 PM

Lovely page--you certainly saw a lot more than I did, but hey, I was only in Bled for three hours! I need to go back!

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2003 at 12:02 PM

Great pictures, wonderful descriptions, and a lot of info ... you certainly have shown all the beauty of Bled. A wonderful page, Arnaud!

• pmodic's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2003 at 10:06 AM

Hello! Very, very good page about Bled. I'm getting the feeling that you are really in love with Bled :))) Btw, my Bled page is nothing compare to yours.

coceng

“It's a silent world only if we keep our eyes shut...”

Badges & Stats in Bled