"A Small Town Called Smlednik..." Smlednik by coceng

Camp Smlednik V Dragocajni

LJUBLJANA<<<<<SMLEDNIK>>>>>BLED

SLOVENIA
Friday 20th June 2003
"What did you do in Smlednik?" A few inquisitive people asked me. I slept there. "Why ?" was the reply.
Well, I could sleep at the train station, at the bus station, in the mortuary, In the President's garden but I chose to spend the night in a camping ground in Smlednik instead.
After couldn't find any place to lie my tired body I decided to go adventurous, sleeping in a camping ground. You read here first ! This would be the first out of many grounds that I slept on in this 3rd European trip.
Took the bus from Ljubljana. Missed my dinner. Reminded the driver to drop me off at the right spot.
8.30 pm. A Junction. Seemed like in the middle of nowhere. Good. Had to walk through big fields with flying insects all hovering around me, covered my ears; crickets rickety-ed for the time to party. Their party. Bushes rustling each other for the sign that the sun was going to be gone for the day. Me kept walking. Had to go through forest to reach the camp, follow the road, not the trail. People made roads, animals made trails. So many things on my mind, y'see.
Finally arrived at the camping ground safely...nearly dark !
First, approached the Information Desk, closed ! Then came 2 boys, 2 American boys (how they reached there God Knows...) who were 'the people' running the place !
Actually they were travelling as well but were put in charged of the in-out od people at the Information Desk, oh swell then.
Asked them if it's possible to find just a space for me to lie down sleeping in my sleeping bag...They were not sure.
They asked whether I had a tent, I said no...just a sleeping bag.
They asked me again "What if it's rain ?" We just looked at each other & laughed ! I guess I had to figure out the question out myself ! Hhmm, talking about finding an adventure right ?

Checked in then, surrender my passport & filled in the form.
So, I wandered the small territory of the camping ground, not a big one I thought.
Then, my tummy beckoned me "Hungry ! Hungry !"...
Asked the 2 boys again where to look for a place to eat, they said 2 miles away ! Although there's a small kiosk shop but it's closed at that time already ! Oh swell...
I walked out from the camping ground, maybe there's a restaurant somewhere, maybe.
I saw this place ! It says 'Pension' so I thought maybe the people there would know the place to eat ?
2 young boys sat at a table outside the pension; They could speak English as well ! This is what I love about Slovenia !
They said it's not their place, their family just settled there...Weird.
Then, came a lady...a Gypsy lady, I just knew her by her appearance. Asking the 2 boys what I wanted.
They were talking more about me & I could not understand a word !
Then, suddenly the 2 boys asked whether I wanted to eat ! I said "Well, yes....."; Not sure whether to answer that !
They said that their mum would cook for me ! I was like "...WHAT !? WOW ".
I asked for the price & they said it's free...again " WHAT !? WOW ".
Actually I was like WOW ! Great ! Free meal...They said it would be Spaghetti Bolognese ! Because that's all they had; DARN ! My favourite !
I talked with the 2 boys, they were Gypsies, travelling around...been to UK even, they said !
5 minutes later, my plate of Spaghetti Bolognese arrived !
It was half hot, I got the feeling it was the left over meal anyway just 'in the oven for a few minutes' for me, their unsuspected stranger/guest.
While eating I talked with them; At the same time I felt kinda uncomfortable because people had told me about The Gypsies !
On that evening, my perception about The Gypsies changed totally ! They are people too, they are humans too, they know how to be nice to people !
Then, suddenly more Gypsies coming out ! The fathers, the grandfathers, the women. Oh oh...!
They were nice ! Asking me where I am from, about my country, about my people...Deep in my I wanted to ask them many questions about the living of The Gypsies, either I wouldn't dare or maybe it's too impolite !
I had to think fast so that I would have something positive to show them about me on them !
I mentioned a name !
Vera Bila !
They were amazed ! They couldn't believe that somebody from this far would know their icon !
I was happy too; My knowledge in music pays off brilliantly !
I finished my meal & the cola drink...
They wanted to talk more but I was too tired. I had to leave, I thought !
I could also asked them to play me music...but maybe some other time.
I parted & they gave me a bottle of drink; I asked what it was, they said 'beer !'.
I said goodbye & shook hands with EACH of them !
I left back to my spot in Smlednik Camping Ground. The bottle of 'beer' was next to me. I was sleeping under a tree on that night...slept UNTIL it was raining ! Yep It was raining so I moved to a hut. Continued sleeping...
The following day I woke up & thought for a while what happened to me the previous night !
Damn ! I forgot that bottle of 'beer'; Went back to the tree & it's no more there.
Slowly, I packed & went downt he river for a while & took some photos. Saw some nudists & they looked at me why wasn't I naked ! can you imagine in the morning chill they were stark naked & proud of it !
On the way out from the Smlednik Camping Ground, I passed through the place where I had my meal the previous night, the place was locked ! Nobody was there...maybe the family moved away. Where, I didn't know...
What an experience I thought ! What an evening to remember.
To that super nice Gypsy Family, wherever you are, I hope you guys would have a great life ! I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart !

Camping site Smlednik with 30 years tradition is situated on the left side of the river Sava close to the Zbilje lake, north-central part of Slovenia. Set in about 10 acres of green landscaping it provides accommodation for 400 visitors.

The Smlednik camping park offers very peaceful and picturesque surroundings in the heart of village countryside. Leisure facilities include tennis, basket -ball, mini football,, table tennis. Water sports fans enjoy boating and fishing on the nearby lake.
The site is ideally placed for walking, touring, biking and also mountaineering in the surrounding neighbourhood or just relaxing.
It lies close to the capital Ljubljana and also other beauty spots and places of historic interest such as ?kofja Loka, Kamnik, Kranj are all within easy reach making opportunities for both sightseeing and relaxing at the same time.
Guests can choose from attractive sunny or sheltered pitches on the grassland. Our facilities include electric hookups, toilet and shower blocks, covered dishwashing facilities, a shop on the site and a refreshing bar.
Special attention is payed to nudist lifestyle. The nudist resort is separated from the rest of the park and has got its own beach and separated toilet and shower blocks.
Prices and booking:
Spacy camping park offers attractive tent pitches and caravanning pitches throughout the year. Rates are daily or annual including everything except tourist tax. Booking is always possible.

• Pros:A Beautiful Piece Of Rural Slovenia
  • Cons:Come Here If You Could Not Find A Place To Sleep In Ljubljana
  • In a nutshell:Definitely Worth A Day Trip From The Capital
  • Last visit to Smlednik: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 20, 2004

coceng

“It's a silent world only if we keep our eyes shut...”

Badges & Stats in Smlednik

Have you been to Smlednik?

Latest Activity in Smlednik