"The Chilly Poprad" Top 5 Page for this destination Poprad by coceng

Our Last Destination in Slovakia

KOSICE<<<<<POPRAD>>>>>TATRA MOUNTAINS

SLOVAKIA
Wednesday 15th May 2002
I remember arriving in Poprad feeling so chilly. Marek was next to me. The warmest of friendship kept me from going insane, almost. Looming from afar, the High Tatras stood majestically. The train station looked so drab it scared me. Let's walk to the town centre, Marek comforting me. On the way, a gypsie asking for a free cigarette. No way. He said something to Marek, gossiping me of course. I gave him the one that I had between my fingers to the gypsie.
Marek was telling me that it's no big deal is somebody asking for a ciggi, we just give him. I said, it's a big deal to me. It's my ciggi & it's up to me if I want to give it to somebody or not. You remember this small tiff yes Marek ?
In Malaysia, cigarettes are expensive, like money, yes. I don't want to give my money away as I don't want to give my cigarettes away ! Period.
Anyway, checked to a hotel. Nice & affordable. Took a hot shower. Love it.
Opened the hotel window to have a better view of the High Tatras. I could even smell the mountains.
We went out & walked around Poprad town. Nice town indeed. Unlike the drab train station. had meals. Took photos. Checked at the bus station if there's a direct bus to Zakopane. No more. All tickets booked/sold.
Went back to the hotel & had a hot shower (again). Planned with Marek for the following day. 'Packed' ourself for the night for another exciting day tomorrow.
Woke up early. Went to the bus station. 2 old men from UK started to chat us up. They had never met a Slovak guy up close they said.
Got on the bus, 4 of us as the oldies were also going to Poland.
Arrived at Lysa Polana (Slovak-Polish border) & stamped our passports.
I continued to Lake Moskie Oko & Marek plus the oldies took another trip somewhere further up.
Me & Marek would meet again in Zakopane, minus the oldies of course. All hells break lose when I bumped into them again in Krakow & they occupied the same room that I booked !
So, Poprad I can say is one point to enter Poland. The town has some nice restaurants & a good atmosphere as well. It's lively with people, this Poprad town.
If you want to go to the High Tatras from Slovakia, it is definitely a town not to be missed !

A MUST SEE...

Poprad...
...is a town which is about 10 km from the mountain...& it is a good base to explore the Tatras Mountain Range (The High Tatras..), Spis Region & Slovensky Raj.
It has a nice main square called namesti svateho Egidia...lined with shops & eateries. The Poprad-Tatry Airport, the highest in Europe, is about 5 km west of town.
Poprad....;our 5th & last destination in Slovakia...Me & Marek arrived in Poprad in the afternoon from Kosice
We had the time to wander around the town...& checked in to a hotel, for an early sleep because we had to get up early to take the bus to continue to Lysa Polana in Poland/Slovakia border.
If anybody knows the name of this building ( photo on the left...), please let me know...thanks in advance.

In The Distance...
The Tatras Mountain Range, captured by my camera from my hotel window...

Please take a look at the travel tips that I could offer, below, if you are in Poprad.

Thank You.

• Last visit to Poprad: May 2002
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2004

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Arnaud, interesting little page about Poprad. We also used it as a base to explore the Slovakian part of the High Tatry. The building you menation is the Evajelicky kostol (church).

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Thanks for your introduction to this town! Unfortunately, you didn't put the hotel where you stayed as a tip which would have been rather interesting! Will go there end of May.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 4:22 PM

Great shot of Morskie Oko! great nature pgae!

• Astralka's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2003 at 2:49 AM

the 2nd picture is either the Gothic Church of St. Egide,13th century,with precious mural paintings,baroque altar, or it is the Protestant Church built in the classicist style. You can guess for yourself,I am not good at architecture styles :)

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2003 at 9:45 AM

Great page, the road sign stands on the border and it tells you the maxium speed limits in Slovakia .... 60 km/h in towns, 90 km/h outside, 130 km/h on motorways ....

coceng

“It's a silent world only if we keep our eyes shut...”

Badges & Stats in Poprad