"The Most Beautiful Legnica..." Legnica by coceng

WROCLAW<<<<<LEGNICA>>>>>BERLIN

POLAND
Friday 24th May 2002
Legnica
...It's origin goes back to the 10th century. In the 16th century, the town (then, under the Bohemian rule...) was an actice centre of culture, with the first university established in Silesia.
Badly damaged during WW2, the town revived as an industrial centre following the discovery of copper deposits in the region.
The town has many historic buildings...A voivodeship town with 100,000 inhabitants is situated between the Silesian Lowland and the Sudety Upland. It is the economic, cultural and administrative centre of the Legnica-Glogow Copper Basin with big copper mines, metallurgical works, clothing factory and a well-known piano factory. Legnica, as one of the oldest Silesian towns, was the capital of the Piast duchy until the 17th century. Among the historical sights mention should be made of an old market square with the so called herring stalls in the Renaissance style. Peter and Paul's church from the 14th century, the duke's Castle with the Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance elements, a complex of Baroque architecture with St. John's church and the mausoleum of Legnica and Brzeg Piasts, the former Academy for the Nobility, the Abbot's College, fragments of medieval defence walls, etc. An interesting copper museum is to be found there, too.

St. Mary's Church, photo on the left.
It is one of the oldest churches in Silesia...
I arrived in Legnica from WROCLAW [Please click on Wroclaw]., with a Polish friend, Adam. He let me stay at his mum's place for a few hours before I took the 3 am morning train to Berlin.
For a few hours, we wander the town & captured some beautiful buildings along the way...

Adam Mum's Place, on the right ! Adorned with beautiful roses, as beautiful as the treatment when I was just a few hours with them.
Arriving in Legnica in the afternoon of Friday 24th May, 2002 from Wroclaw (because I didn't manage to get the train ticket to my next destination, Berlin, from there) Wandered for a few hours in this beautiful town, accompanied by a Polish friend, Adam.
Went to his mum's place. Got to know the family & slept for a few hours, then taking the very early morning train to
BERLIN [Please click on Berlin]; My next destination & also the first place/city that I went to in GERMANY.
Legnica was my last place in POLAND which previously I was in AUSTRIA & SLOVAKIA respectively.
Please have a visit to my Travel Pages in these countries, with so many places & photos to browse through.
Thank You.

• Pros:Quiet & So Beautiful ! Filled With Great Sights !
  • Cons:Still Overlooked By Tourists Until Now...
  • In a nutshell:Visit Legnica if You Are In Wroclaw !
  • Last visit to Legnica: May 2002
  • Intro Updated May 19, 2004

• sihi's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2004 at 1:19 AM

Good page!! Legnica has long history and looks pretty attractive(Thanks your page!!:)) I like this name-Legnica

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2003 at 10:52 PM

Well, as I've never been to Legnica, I could not vote your accuracy. But I voted helpfulness :)

• marishabandb's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2003 at 1:17 AM

Thanks Anuar. Legnica looks really beautiful. I must do more than just drive through it now!

coceng

“It's a silent world only if we keep our eyes shut...”

Badges & Stats in Legnica

Have you been to Legnica?

Latest Activity in Legnica