"The Sad Auschwitz Camp..." Top 5 Page for this destination Oswiecim by coceng

Oswiecim Travel Guide: 366 reviews and 995 photos

WIELICZKA<<<<<OSWIECIM>>>>>BRZEZINKA

POLAND
Sunday 19th May 2002
I remember on that day; Even long before I reached Auschwitz, I would know what to expect from this place !
True, the movie Schindler's List did influenced me much more to see this place & it was just a glimpse of what to expect but it's NOT the same as being there !
Took a bus from Krakow; Easy & on time. Many people also went there on that day I thought; Tourists like me maybe...
I was so anticipated ! I smiled to myself thinking the photos that I would be taking ! Maybe because of my anticipation, the journey was short, like just around the corner from Krakow !
Got off the bus & followed the rest of people...Came to an area, a car park which there were already several your buses bringing people to this (amazing ?) place.
"God !", I said...I was there !
First entered the museum & discovered upon the sign saying if we want to have a tour guide, we would have to pay more !
So, I did...Joining a group of people with a beautiful girl (dark hair)...who spoke very good English with a Polish accent !
We were all 'brief-ed' about what to see, what to expect & "Feel free to ask questions !", the girl said, our tour guide.
Continue...

A MUST SEE...

Hardly an attraction in the normal sparkly sense, Oswiecim is a medium-sized industrial town 60km west of Kraków. The Polish name may be unfamiliar but its German rendering, Auschwitz, is tragically evocative.
In other words, Oswiecim & Auschwitz are the same (evil) place !
In 1945 the retreating Nazis destroyed part of what was their largest concentration camp, but what's left of the death factories in this quiet rural area is more than enough to show the magnitude of the holocaust.
Four million people, 2.5 million of them Jews, were killed in Auschwitz and the linked complex at nearby Birkenau
(Brzezinka). Both places are open to the public, and remain basically as they were when abandoned by the Nazis. The stories which live in the gas chambers, crematoria, barracks and barbed wire make this a haunted and shocking place.
~

ARBEIT MACHT FREI

Literally mean 'Works Make Free'

This Auschwitz
(OSWIECIM in Polish....)
Page should be visited side by side with another page:
Birkenau
(BRZEZINKA in Polish....)
Page.

Auschwitz is the main camp but Birkenau is bigger....

• Last visit to Oswiecim: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2004

• Oct 11, 2004 at 1:37 AM

I'm sorry to tell this but -qoute:"you only pay for the tour guide, about 30 USD" if you really meant USD, not PLN, you were ripped off!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2004 at 7:37 AM

Touching pictures! Real and almost complete guide! My congratulations!

• warney's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2003 at 4:13 AM

Superb pages and very very informative Arnaud.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2003 at 2:41 PM

Hmm, I guess it's a "must" in Poland... Good coverage, Arnaud.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 1:49 AM

Very good pages. Sad to see what we humans are capable of doing to other humans without provocation!!

• 2112Michael's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2003 at 7:28 PM

Hey..........amazing photos. i wish I had the time to visit the camp. Unfortunately we did not have the time to squeeze in the tour. Next time the camp will be on top of the list. Great job in capturing the moment.

• Oct 9, 2003 at 12:09 PM

Very different but impressive page. Keep up the good work. Thumbs up for u.

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2003 at 7:39 AM

I was able to visit this camp myself when I was in Poland, but didn't have the courage, to much for my stomach...but great page about what mankind should never forget.....

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2003 at 7:26 AM

A very well done thought provoking page! A sad reminder of our terrible past!!!!

• dragontml's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2003 at 11:38 PM

an eye opener place to visit ?

coceng

“It's a silent world only if we keep our eyes shut...”

Badges & Stats in Oswiecim

Have you been to Oswiecim?

Latest Activity in Oswiecim