"The Sad Auschwitz Camp..." Top 5 Page for this destination Oswiecim by coceng
Oswiecim Travel Guide: 367 reviews and 995 photos
I remember on that day; Even long before I reached Auschwitz, I would know what to expect from this place !
True, the movie Schindler's List did influenced me much more to see this place & it was just a glimpse of what to expect but it's NOT the same as being there !
Took a bus from Krakow; Easy & on time. Many people also went there on that day I thought; Tourists like me maybe...
I was so anticipated ! I smiled to myself thinking the photos that I would be taking ! Maybe because of my anticipation, the journey was short, like just around the corner from Krakow !
Got off the bus & followed the rest of people...Came to an area, a car park which there were already several your buses bringing people to this (amazing ?) place.
"God !", I said...I was there !
First entered the museum & discovered upon the sign saying if we want to have a tour guide, we would have to pay more !
So, I did...Joining a group of people with a beautiful girl (dark hair)...who spoke very good English with a Polish accent !
We were all 'brief-ed' about what to see, what to expect & "Feel free to ask questions !", the girl said, our tour guide.
Hardly an attraction in the normal sparkly sense, Oswiecim is a medium-sized industrial town 60km west of Kraków. The Polish name may be unfamiliar but its German rendering, Auschwitz, is tragically evocative.
In other words, Oswiecim & Auschwitz are the same (evil) place !
In 1945 the retreating Nazis destroyed part of what was their largest concentration camp, but what's left of the death factories in this quiet rural area is more than enough to show the magnitude of the holocaust.
Four million people, 2.5 million of them Jews, were killed in Auschwitz and the linked complex at nearby Birkenau(Brzezinka). Both places are open to the public, and remain basically as they were when abandoned by the Nazis. The stories which live in the gas chambers, crematoria, barracks and barbed wire make this a haunted and shocking place.
A memorial has also been set up in Auschwitz 2. The monument is called The International Monument to the Victims of... more travel advice
Also in Birkenau, you can see the railway tracks which transport the prisoners to the camp. Walk on the tracks, as most... more travel advice
coceng's Related Pages
Oswiecim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Auschwitz: A factory of death"
- "The Sad Auschwitz Camp..."
- "Auschwitz - A production line of death"
- "AUSCHWITZ ----- BIRKENAU"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oswiecim
- Hotels in Oswiecim
- Transportation in Oswiecim
- Restaurants in Oswiecim
- Shopping in Oswiecim
- Warnings and Dangers in Oswiecim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oswiecim
- 34 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Oswiecim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oswiecim
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaling Jaya Intro, 156 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 129 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Batu Caves Intro, 119 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 104 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Baalbeck Intro, 89 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tripoli Intro, 92 reviews, 96 photos
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Apamea Intro, 74 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 54 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues