"The Historical Kutna Hora.." Top 5 Page for this destination Kutna Hora by coceng
Kutna Hora Travel Guide: 366 reviews and 967 photos
SEDLEC<<<<<KUTNA HORA>>>>>CESKY KRUMLOV
It's hard to imagine today, but in its time this town about 65km southeast of Prague was Bohemia's most important after Prague.
This was due to the rich veins of silver below the town itself, and the silver groschen minted here was the hard currency of central Europe at the time.
Today the town is a fraction of its old self, but is still dressed up in enough magnificent architectural monuments for it to have been added to...
With a pastel-hued square dotted with cafés, medieval alleys with facades from Gothic to Cubist, and a cathedral to rival St Vitus, comparisons with Prague are hard to resist.
Kutna Hora is certainly as densely picturesque as Prague, and blessed with warmer people and lower prices.
The historical centre is compact enough to see on foot. Those who need their dose of 'culture' will have no trouble finding their cravings fulfilled by the fascinating sights on offer.
For a truly macabre sight, there is....
A cemetery at
Sedlec with a Gothic ossuary decorated
with the bones of some 40,000 people.
For some beautiful religious architecture minus bones, visit the Gothic Church of Our Lady, the St James Church, the 17th-century former Jesuit College, which has Baroque sculpture in front of it,...
The Cathedral of St Barbara
...and the Ursuline Convent, which houses an exhibition of antiques. If you are interested in the town's mining history, visit the Hradek Mining Museum and the medieval mine shafts.
The OSSUARY OF SEDLEC is NOT situated in Kutna Hora; it is 3.5 km away in the outer suburb of Kutna Hora.
You can walk to Sedlec or taking a bus.
Click HERE to go to my SEDLEC page.
- Pros:Beautiful Town With Many Sights To Be Seen With Your Own Eyes !
- Cons:Some Vital Sights Could Be Marred With Scaffoldings...
- In a nutshell:A Day Excursion From Prague Is A Must !
If you want to stay around Kutna Hora, there are some cheap accomodations cater for you. Camping Santa Barbara... more travel advice
The main sight of Kutna Hora looming on top of the hill, it's The Cathedral of St. Barbara. Impressive as it is, notice... more travel advice
coceng's Related Pages
Kutna Hora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old bones Galore for the serious bone connaisseur"
- "North Bohemian Growing Pains"
- "Kutná Hora - treasury of the Czech Kingdom"
- "ONCE A RICH SILVER CITY - NOW A UNESCO SITE"
- "The Historical Kutna Hora.."
- "St Barbara Cathedral..."
- "Kutna Hora - formerly rich of silver Czech town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kutna Hora
- Hotels in Kutna Hora
- Transportation in Kutna Hora
- Nightlife in Kutna Hora
- Restaurants in Kutna Hora
- Shopping in Kutna Hora
- Warnings and Dangers in Kutna Hora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kutna Hora
- 27 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Kutna Hora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kutna Hora
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaling Jaya Intro, 156 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 129 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Batu Caves Intro, 119 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 104 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Baalbeck Intro, 89 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tripoli Intro, 92 reviews, 96 photos
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Apamea Intro, 74 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 54 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues