"A University Town Called Ghent..." Gent by coceng

Gent Travel Guide: 1,441 reviews and 3,734 photos

BRUGGE<<<<<GHENT>>>>>ANTWERP
BELGIUM
Wednesday 13th June 2001
Me & Reg then continued to Ghent, a university town in the middle between Brugge & Brussels. Students ? Not keen on them. God granted my wish 'cos there's no students with their books or backpacks around, in this beautiful town. To tell the truth, there's almost nobody's around ! Maybe the exams were approaching & everybody was at home playing circus clowns with their study notes, thick books, pen & pencils & rubber (erasers to you out there).
We wandered around some old buildings & I just love the cobble-stoned streets. Ghent had a gray feel to it. We had a meal at one of the eating places, which almost looked like a cellar. Very nice food though. I could stay here I told Reg & Reg looked at me in disbelief, "And what subject you would want to enroll in ?". It was in this town that me & Reg had some kind of soul-searching. I asked "Do you believe in the After-Life ?". Heavy talk this. We had a good discussion on the subject but we concluded that lawyers are the most irresponsible & money-grabbers in our humankind. We wish them bad luck in all the cases they handle. LAWYERS are not GOD !
Anyway, enough about this. Me & Reg took the next train to Brussels.
Come to Ghent if you have the time. I was lucky that the town was in hibernation when I was there. Many nice old buildings, churches & old streets to get acquantance with, in this one of the most beautiful towns Belgium could offer.

INFORMATION...
Ghent is also known as Gent or Gand. It is the main city of the municipality of a Belgian province called East-Flanders.
Being tipped as the largest medieval city after Paris !
Now, Ghent is a lively city indeed with many universities that cater for students the world over.
Almost sitting in the middle between Antwerp, Brussels & Bruges !
Ghent is certainly one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Much of the city's medieval architecture remains intact and is remarkably well preserved.
Some attractions is Ghent are :
The Post Office; Which was built in 1910 in Neo-Gothic style.
The Saint Nicholas Church, built between 12th -14th century in pure Schelde-Gothic style.
The Belfort which was from the 13th century.
The Lace Hall from the 15th century.
The Saint Baaf Cathedral, built 1274 -1569; This is The Principal Cathedral of Ghent.

This city also has an extensive harbour which is accessed by the Ghent-Terneuzen Canal, that ends at Terneuzen in the Westerschelde.
This city also has been hosting some nice events, particularly the student-feel is strong here.
Mainly a Dutch-spoken community with French and English are also accepted as the languages cater among the students.

• Last visit to Gent: Jun 2001
  • Intro Updated Jul 8, 2005

coceng

“It's a silent world only if we keep our eyes shut...”

Badges & Stats in Gent