"Brimming With Students & Tourists !" Oxford by coceng
Oxford Travel Guide: 965 reviews and 2,036 photos
Arriving in Oxford in the early evening of 11th June, with Pat on the driver's seat; From Burford (our last destination in THE COTSWOLD). Feeling excited...
Took us 1 hour to look for the parking space.
Explored the night in Oxford. Not much to see around 'the old sights' although lights came out from windows maybe by students doing their preps...
Had a KFC meal with Pat & it was the first KFC meal for him ! I feel guilty; Sorry Pat...
After the meal, another hour walking around & walked back to the car park, from the direction of Christ Church's Tom Tower. Back to our hotel, a few miles from Oxford & had a good night sleep...
12th June, had breakfast at the hotel; Checked out.
Pat dropped me off at Oxford Train Station & bought the train ticket back to London. Must reach there by noon, to meet up with Reg & Steve...Patrick drove back to Cheltenham, missed him. Thanks for EVERYTHING Pat !
In Oxford, I would have 2 hours or so to explore the city on my own...
Didn't really want to see the (dull) 'Cornmarket' area that I had been the night before; Didn't really have a good map to explore Oxford either...
'Follow The Tourists !...Follow The Spires !' My motto on that day (in Oxford)...
I must have got lost when I saw something, The Bridge of Sigh...
Recognized it from some guidebooks, memorized in my head.
That led me to more great sights !
Follow the tourists...
Tourists : All ages, all skin colours.
We don't really recognize the tourists (at least in this city); They could be students, lecturers, even Oxfordians running their daily chores around the city.
To me at least, everybody looks like a tourist except maybe those guys in suits who have that white curly wig over their heads, hurrying up somewhere...the 'magistrate' students !
My feet & eyes put me in front of The Radcliffe Camera; Excellent !
In Oxford, not all buildings welcome tourists; It's more like 'For Tourists - At Certain Hours', sign-boarded at most 'old buildings' around the city.
Nevertheless, 'Follow The Tourists' rang loud to my eyes ! I could easily sneak in to the old colleges !
Even if I get caught, I'd be forgiven for being, errr... a tourist !
I didn't dare to sneak in though because I had 2 short hours; Not enough to do some hanky-panky...
Instead, I went up St. Mary's Church & snapped Oxford from the best top !
I nearly didn't pay for this top views as there's nobody by the spiral-winding steps going up...
Of course I paid later otherwise I would be called 'cheeky' by you lot !
The views are just amazing !
Managed to catch world-famous Oxford spires views as shown by my photos :
In my humble opinion, I managed to do Oxford a justice, judging from all the photos shown here on my Oxford page...
Do you notice something weird ? Well I do !
I was in Oxford on the evening of 11th June, but my digital photos seemed to be showing the date 12th June instead !
How that happened, I really didn't know...
Maybe my digital camera was following the time of my country, Malaysia ! Any other explaination ?
Anyway, just ignore the date on my photos but look at the photos instead !
It has a fascinating history :
The Romans made Oxford a pottery centre; The Saxon princess by the name of Frideswide set up a religious community on the site of Oxford Cathedral; The Oxenford, the original Saxon crossing point, gave the city its name !
Now, Oxford is a city of learning known all through thw world. 39 colleges spreaded out over the city, ranging in age from 50 to 600 years old !
Oxford also boasts the best of British architectures, guarding quadrangles,, courtyards & gardens...
I have divided my photos & tips of what I saw in Oxford, according to these pages :
PAGE 1 : My Night Photos in Oxford...
Please click HERE to see the map of ALL the colleges in Oxford...
- Pros:An Old City; Beautiful But (Yet) Old...
- Cons:Brimming With Students & Tourists ! What Do You Expect ?...
- In a nutshell:Go Up St. Mary's Church For A TOP View Over Oxford !
This was my lasy photo in Oxford... Passing this flowery building, could be a restaurant or pub. So, I was in Oxford... more travel advice
I continued on walking along High Street, coming to St. Mary Church again...Feeling good looking at the tower as an... more travel advice
coceng's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "The Gown Town"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 44 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
- Posted in Travel Greece Forum "Re: 4-5 days in Greece..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Brimming With Students & Tourists !"
- updated a Oxford Travel Page "Brimming With Students & Tourists !"
- Wrote a Review Walking Back To The Train Station... about Memories in Oxford Favorites
- Commented on one of Sharrie's Oxford travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaling Jaya Intro, 156 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 129 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Batu Caves Intro, 119 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 104 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Baalbeck Intro, 89 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tripoli Intro, 92 reviews, 96 photos
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Apamea Intro, 74 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 54 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues