"A Dead City Called Serjilla..." Khirbat Serjilla by coceng
Khirbat Serjilla Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 135 photos
Again, I made this excursion to The Dead Cities from Aleppo (on the 2nd day when I was there in Aleppo).
Most people go by tour guides & I wanted to do with public transports.
I could save some money, you see.
Anyway, the hotel where I stayed in Aleppo was not that helpful when I asked about public transports to The Dead Cities. Maybe they wanted me to take the tours.
I gave my reason that I want to go by public transports. Furthermore, it would be fun that way.
It's not that dangerous or anything...
Yes true, my guidebook says it out loud HOW to reach The Dead Cities by public transports but I still asked around; I wanted to know whether people really know HOW to get there on their own.
I mean same as everywhere else too in this world, Malaysia included !
I have many places that I haven't seen around Kuala Lumpur, you ask me I really don't know how to reach there !
I would probably ask you lot to hire a taxi or a tour guide anyway, right ?
Anyway back to The Dead Cities, I made my way to the 'luxury' bus station (the one that I 'seek' comfort in at about 4 am on the first day arriving in Aleppo).
I got the bus & on the bus, I chatted with a university student called Nadir.
I had a pleasant talk with him !
If you read my diary on Aleppo, on the first day's evening I had a bad experience with 2 university guys who argued about religions & races with me !
I asked Nadir whether all Syrian students were like that ?
He said I was just unlucky ! We both laughed !
Nadir was telling me that he's helped several tourists about places around Syria before.
He said it's fun meeting & talking with tourists.
His favourite story when he was in Latakia with 2 German girls & they wanted to kiss him on the lips !
He said no...We laughed again !
Anyway, we then reached a village called Al-Maa'ra;
Nadir took me to a small servixe taxi station so that I would get a service taxi to another small village called Kafren Bil.
We parted & said goodbye & I gave him a nice souvenir from Malaysia...
Serjilla is one of The Dead Cities (which comprised alltogether nearly 500 villages/dwellings in this area lone!).
People say that Serjilla is the most eerie of The Dead Cities; Not really unless you are here in the evening on your own !
Serjilla also has the almost-complete buildings (ruins) still intact.
It has been deserted for nearly 15 centuries but the stones, the facades are still being looked after.
Who takes care of them ? Nobody knows, Maybe the people who live there; Maybe the wind...
Nobody really knows why the inhabitants left Serjilla; It could be the decline of the place economically or maybe the inhabitants fleed the place after several invasions by The Mamluks or The Persians...
- Pros:A Must Visit If You Are In The North Of Syria !
- Cons:Well, Don't Stay Here On Your Own At Night !
- In a nutshell:A Great Day Trip From Aleppo...
coceng's Related Pages
Khirbat Serjilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dead City of Serjilla"
- "A Dead City Called Serjilla..."
- "DEAD CITIES"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khirbat Serjilla
- 30 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Khirbat Serjilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khirbat Serjilla
Photos in Khirbat SerjillaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaling Jaya Intro, 156 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 129 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Batu Caves Intro, 119 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 104 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Baalbeck Intro, 89 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tripoli Intro, 92 reviews, 96 photos
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Apamea Intro, 74 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 54 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues