"The Ancient Crusader Stronghold Of Karak..." Al Karak by coceng
Al Karak Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 104 photos
I woke up early in Madaba, at about 6 am (that's too early for me !) just so that I could catch the school/university bus to Karak !
I wanted to see Karak, I had read so much about this fortress, didn't want to miss it on this trip.
I crept out from the hotel.
The previous night, I had paid for my room just so that I could crept out like this !
Dragging my luggage & walking faster to reach the bus station in Madaba...
Karak was the ancient capital of Moab; During Roman times it was known as Characmoba.
It was also The ancient Crusader stronghold.
It lies on the ancient caravan routes that used to connect Egypt to Syria, and its commanding position almost 1000 meters above the Dead Sea Valley made it a strategic location of great importance.
Karak is a very old city and its name was mentioned in The Old Testament .
Karak was mentioned several times in The Bible as Kir, Kir Moab & Kir Heres.
Here lies The Crusader's castle which was built by King Baldwin I of Jerusalem in 1142 AD.
Karak is about 130 km to the south of Amman & 88 km from Madaba.
It is also 930 meters above sea level. It sits on a mountain that overlooks the Dead Sea and and The Jordan Valley.
The Old City of Karak is easy to wander around although if you arrive at the bottom of the hill, you would have to walk up to be at The Karak Castle !
The Old City also consists of many one-way streets which make it a bit confusing as well.
from Karak, it's possible to take the service taxi to Wadi Musa for Petra or reaching here like I did from Madaba.
- Pros:Impressively Situated On Top Of A Hill...
- Cons:Often Ignored By The Travellers, Who Couldn't Wait To Reach Petra, Wadi Rum & Aqaba...
- In a nutshell:Just Drop By BEFORE Reaching Those Places Above...
coceng's Related Pages
Al Karak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karak Castle: a castle full of mystery"
- "From the Crusader's castle!"
- "Kingdom of Heaven"
- "~Karak Crusaders~"
- "Kerak الكرك"
- "Karak Castle"
- "AL KARAK - THE CASTLE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Karak
- Hotels in Al Karak
- Transportation in Al Karak
- Restaurants in Al Karak
- Warnings and Dangers in Al Karak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Karak
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Al Karak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Karak
Photos in Al KarakSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaling Jaya Intro, 156 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 129 reviews, 139 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Batu Caves Intro, 119 reviews, 138 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 104 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Baalbeck Intro, 89 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tripoli Intro, 92 reviews, 96 photos
- Prague Intro, 62 reviews, 104 photos, 5 travelogues
- Apamea Intro, 74 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Iceland Intro, 67 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 54 reviews, 79 photos, 4 travelogues