"The most known Ukrainain town" Chornobyl by IngaA

Chornobyl Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 89 photos

To those who saved the world

That's what is written on the monument. Being a 'paphos-hater' I don't geel anything pathetic here because THIS IS TRUE.
Every year, on April 26, relatives and friends of those who sacrified their lives there, as well as many of us who are forever grateful to them, light a candle.
This is 'memory alley' dedicated to those who are now in better world (if it exists of course)

P.S. Picture is taken from Internet but I hope authors will forgive me. People must see that.

Strezhev

This is the ancient name of Chornobyl. That's how it was mentioned in chronicles of Kyivan Rus times. That time it was a part of Chernihiv douchy, the bordeting town. Strezhev, it merans 'Storozhevoy', the 'gardering town' in old slavic language.
It was renaimed much letter. Before 1917 tghe town was 2/3 'Jewish', as Jews were allowed to live there. There were 5 cynagogues and only 1 orthodox church. Even now a lot of old buildings exist and they are just left like they are. They are lost in a forest, sometimes you don't really understand where you are, in a garden. por a forest, but definitely not in a city!

• Pros:What can be 'good' in such case? ... I wish I could answer
  • In a nutshell:Words are useless and helpless
  • Last visit to Chornobyl: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2009

• bartw's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Hello Inga, thanks for this short introduction. I will be taking a tour there next Monday and wonder what it will feel like to me...

• IngaA's Profile Photo
      Jun 13, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Can't say 'enjoy' as it's not really a place to enjoy but I hope you'll feel the atmosphere. Have a good trip.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Thanks for your story, Inga!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Inga, I didn't know you made it to Chornobyl. Interesting little page here. I would love to hear more of that trip. We were on a day trip to the bordering town of Chernihiv which was very interesting.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM

I did not know it was possible to visit today

• balfor's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 9:10 AM

That had to have been an emotionally weird trip. To see nature living and covering the things man made due to the destruction that man brought on himself there.

Badges & Stats in Chornobyl

Have you been to Chornobyl?