"Pearl of Adriatic coast" Dubrovnik by IngaA

Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,822 reviews and 4,853 photos

Italians did a good job here :)

Well, at least that's what, I was told, is always good to say when being in Dubrovnik.
For several centuries it was an independent Repuiblic called Republic of Dubrovnik. Many street names are related to this historical fact.
I took a bus Zagreb-Dubrovnik, the overnight bus, so I arrived early in the morning and didn't waste time in the trip.
By lucky (at least for me) coincidence, Zdenka was passing by Dubrovnik on her way to Podgorica and she decided to spend a day and a half there with her friend whom she was going to pay a visit.

Expectations and reality

We found a room to rent in a nice place at reasonable price. Once again, my luck - native local speaker was nearby:)
The location was about 15 minutes walking from the historical centre of the city.
It's funny, but the first mention about Dobrovnic for me was in the detective story about Interpol agents fighting the drug mafia. They spent a couple of days in Dubrovnik and the beauty of the place was mentioned often in that novel. Before visiting Dubrovnik I read about this place, in particular here on VT. But honestly, I didn't have a clear picture of what is waiting for me there.
Well, as perhaps everyone, I loved the place a lot and dream to visit it again someday.
Briefly - white stoned Medieval city, well preserved and well-rebuilt after the bombings (what a pity that such things happen, war is always the destrution and all the sides loose more then they win but it's out of the topic), keeping the spirit and soul of Dubrovnik Republic in combination with beautiful nature and sparkling sea.

If there is a paradise, it is in Dubrovnik ?

Well, may be. Btw those words are attributed at the moment to Marko Polo, at another to Bernard Show.
I still don't know to whom of them.
But whoever told it, I still think that he was right. Although when I came to Dubrovnik, it could rather count for the Hell than for Paradise. At least the temperature was really infernal. I faced that fammous European heat in Dubrovnik. suppose it was abouve 40C
Luckily, there are fontains with drinkable water everywhere in the Old City. Those fontains saved people who were pouring water on themselves, drank it and took it in bottles. It helped but not for a long time. Water became warm in several minutes.
But for me 40 above 0 is much better than 40 below 0. that would be worse than the hell :))

• Pros:Its remarkable beauty and people's friendliness
  • Cons:perhaps the heat but don't see anything else
  • In a nutshell:Paradise? come and see :)
  • Last visit to Dubrovnik: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

It would be great to visit this famous place....

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2010 at 6:23 AM

How many times have you been to Dubrovnik now??? ^O^ Martin

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2004 at 12:48 PM

I loved Dubrovnik too and it was incredibly hot.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2004 at 12:02 PM

Lovely picture of The Mermaid! “Those who seek paradise on Earth should come to Dubrovnik ..." -Bernard Shaw :O)

• bonaventura's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 12:07 PM

I just need to clear out why ITALIANS did great job here...Dubrovnikers pay to italians becouse in this small town there wasnt enough workers...Once we had enough money to pay them all:-)))

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 12:30 AM

Fantastic page and like Horscheck I enjoyed the accommodation dealing.........it certainly puts a new face on negotiations LOL. Thank you.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2004 at 4:06 AM

Inga "the nun" ... *smile* ... interesting page ... I like your accomodation tipp and I will keep it in mind ... I often heard of these kind of accomodation, but never used them up to now ... :o)

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2004 at 3:45 AM

Nice page! It is long ago when I was here - I have to come back (but avoiding the peak of the season)

• robine's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2004 at 7:38 AM

Thanks, Inga. Yes, Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful places I know.

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2003 at 4:23 PM

Last time I was in Croatie I missed Dubrovnik. I really have to go back to see it :-))

Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik

Have you been to Dubrovnik?

Latest Activity in Dubrovnik