"Pearl of Adriatic coast" Dubrovnik by IngaA
Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,865 reviews and 4,979 photos
Well, at least that's what, I was told, is always good to say when being in Dubrovnik.
For several centuries it was an independent Repuiblic called Republic of Dubrovnik. Many street names are related to this historical fact.
I took a bus Zagreb-Dubrovnik, the overnight bus, so I arrived early in the morning and didn't waste time in the trip.
By lucky (at least for me) coincidence, Zdenka was passing by Dubrovnik on her way to Podgorica and she decided to spend a day and a half there with her friend whom she was going to pay a visit.
We found a room to rent in a nice place at reasonable price. Once again, my luck - native local speaker was nearby:)
The location was about 15 minutes walking from the historical centre of the city.
It's funny, but the first mention about Dobrovnic for me was in the detective story about Interpol agents fighting the drug mafia. They spent a couple of days in Dubrovnik and the beauty of the place was mentioned often in that novel. Before visiting Dubrovnik I read about this place, in particular here on VT. But honestly, I didn't have a clear picture of what is waiting for me there.
Well, as perhaps everyone, I loved the place a lot and dream to visit it again someday.
Briefly - white stoned Medieval city, well preserved and well-rebuilt after the bombings (what a pity that such things happen, war is always the destrution and all the sides loose more then they win but it's out of the topic), keeping the spirit and soul of Dubrovnik Republic in combination with beautiful nature and sparkling sea.
Well, may be. Btw those words are attributed at the moment to Marko Polo, at another to Bernard Show.
I still don't know to whom of them.
But whoever told it, I still think that he was right. Although when I came to Dubrovnik, it could rather count for the Hell than for Paradise. At least the temperature was really infernal. I faced that fammous European heat in Dubrovnik. suppose it was abouve 40C
Luckily, there are fontains with drinkable water everywhere in the Old City. Those fontains saved people who were pouring water on themselves, drank it and took it in bottles. It helped but not for a long time. Water became warm in several minutes.
But for me 40 above 0 is much better than 40 below 0. that would be worse than the hell :))
- Pros:Its remarkable beauty and people's friendliness
- Cons:perhaps the heat but don't see anything else
- In a nutshell:Paradise? come and see :)
Monks are known builders. They left us so many architectural masterpieces all over Europe. We realy have to be thankful... more travel advice
I think everyone knows about it and everyone visiting Dubrovnik did it at least once. Yes, it's worth doing. The Old... more travel advice
IngaA's Related Pages
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
- "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- "Dubrovnik - Ragusa"
- "Divine Dubrovnik"
- "Unavoidable Dubrovnik"
- "A Lovely Village Inside a Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubrovnik
- Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Transportation in Dubrovnik
- Nightlife in Dubrovnik
- Restaurants in Dubrovnik
- Shopping in Dubrovnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubrovnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Dubrovnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubrovnik
Photos in DubrovnikSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Zagreb Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 43 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 39 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yalta Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Hungary Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Yerevan Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Kumrovec Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue