"Vigi's Lijiang Page - Explore Old Town + Minority" Top 5 Page for this destination Lijiang by vigi
Lijiang Travel Guide: 570 reviews and 1,889 photos
UNESCO designated Lijiang, located in Northwest Yunnan, as one of the world's major cultural heritages. It is also the centre of the Lijiang Naxi Ethnic Minority Autonomous County. The Naxi minority, whom have a very sophisticated culture, are the predominate population of Lijiang and its surrounding area. Their cultural treasures, such as Dongba Culture, Naxi Classical Music, Baisha Murals and Mosuo Customs, have been continuously drawing tourists from all over the world.
Lijiang Old Town (also known as "Dayan Town") is a traveller's oasis. Setting foot on the Old Town is like stepping back in time. River streams flow through the Old Town's cobble-stoned streets that are lined with wooden houses, trees, alluring restaurants and caf¡§¦s, shops, residences, and even a theatre where music performed on original period instruments dating back to the Han dynasty is played. It was first built during the late Song Dynasty nearly eight centuries ago, a main stop on the Southern Silk Road, played an important role in the old days on trading activities between China and other Southeast Asian countries. Gone are the sounds of cars, motorcycles, or machines of any sort. The Old Town was rebuilt after a devastating earthquake in 1996. There are also a variety of beautiful parks and temples around Lijiang. Once you are in the Old Town, you will find it hard to tear yourself away and return to the hustle bustle city life.
A man loses his sense of direction after four drinks; I lost mine after four kisses!!!
Located about 40 miles, 2.5 hours away north of Lijiang, the Tiger Leaping Gorge is one of the world?s most spectacular... more travel advice
Before leaving the BaiSha Mesuem, I had to pass through a long street of tourists shops. Here is one of them doing... more travel advice
vigi's Related Pages
Lijiang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Looking for a Lost Shangri-la"
- "Vigi's Lijiang Page - Explore Old Town + Minority"
- "Old town, streams, lakes and mountains"
- "The place you can have a dream"
- "Lijiang - is it real?"
- "Lijiang - Vintage China"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lijiang
- Hotels in Lijiang
- Transportation in Lijiang
- Nightlife in Lijiang
- Restaurants in Lijiang
- Shopping in Lijiang
- Warnings and Dangers in Lijiang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lijiang
- 29 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Lijiang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lijiang
- Posted in Travel Vienna Forum "Re: Need suggestion of Heuriger"
- Commented on one of GillianMcLaughlin's Lijiang travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lijiang - Zhongdian in Lijiang Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vigi's Lijiang Page - Explore Old Town + Minority"
- updated a Lijiang Travel Page "Vigi's Lijiang Page - Explore Old Town + Minority"
Photos in LijiangSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 138 reviews, 183 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 68 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 51 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 36 reviews, 104 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 48 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhongdian Intro, 46 reviews, 71 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 51 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chiang Mai Intro, 44 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 44 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monroe Intro, 34 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues