"TOKYO - A Cold Desert?" Tokyo by vigi

Tokyo Travel Guide: 4,096 reviews and 10,118 photos

Japan VT Members: you warm my Tokyo trip

Japan VT Members are GREAT!
They brighten my travel to Tokyo. You guys made me feel warm in this cold city. Especially Atsuko couple... next time, we shall go Yoyogi Park on Sunday! (^0^)

Well... I think, Tokyo is a cold place. Perhaps because of stress? Most Tokyo people do not smile, no expression on their face, and quiet.

Tokyo is such a vast, sprawling city that it is difficult for newcomers to orient themselves at first. Since I do not speak Japanese, I found myself have nobody to talk to while travelling alone in the day. Luckily, there are VT Members. On the 4th day, I found myself started talking to myself (not thinking, I spoke out). So, I decided to call up VT member, I need to talk to somebody, anything!!!

And then I caught a flu in Disneyland, fell sick and laid on bed for 2 days! I don't like falling sick especially while travelling...

Luckily, I recovered fast. And able to catch the parties in the following 2 weekends.

• Last visit to Tokyo: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 16, 2003

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2008 at 1:55 AM

We bought Coffee in a can from a vending machine in Tokyo. Never seen it like this before.

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Had to check out your Tokyo page too and it is wonderful! Full of great every day life tips and also things to see and do! Nice work! :))

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 5:31 PM

Outstanding and very thorough Tokyo page, Virginia. I liked your story about buying one square cm in Ginza. Greetings from Florida.

• skychef's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 8:50 AM

thanks for the tips lovely ones

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2005 at 7:47 AM

Very good page and I like the photos. Greetings from Poland:)

• FelixB's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2005 at 2:22 AM

Hey, I only just realized that you were at the Pachinko in Koiwa! How come that's where I lived for 3 weeks!!!

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2004 at 1:52 AM

some lovely tips here, you are very observant! happy travels.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2004 at 10:59 PM

I love your page, it really gave me a glimpse into life in Tokyo; thanks for sharing :o) ~ Helen

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2004 at 3:25 AM

Good page with lots of interesting tips.

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2004 at 9:28 PM

Tokyo is not a cold dessert, make sure that you ask someone who really confident in English, otherwise, they are not cold-hearted, they just feel shy to talk to stranger.

vigi

“Expect the Unexpected, or You Won't Find It”

Badges & Stats in Tokyo