"A great place to take a break!" Starvation Creek State Park by deWilde
Starvation Creek State Park Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 18 photos
We fell across this Oregon State Park by accident when I forgot to take HWY 25 to Mt Hood and decided to hit spots off HWY 84. One of the biggest perks of any state park is that there are usually decent bathrooms. This park also has great walking paths (watch out for poison ivy), bug and animal exploration, neat looking rocks and soo much more. Although the park had great paved paths it also has wonderful off road walking/hiking paths.
I'll add more photos this weekend.
The wind howled and snow swirled through the Columbia River Gorge on the blustery winter night of December 18, 1884. The Pacific Express, bound for Portland, rounded a nearby curve and plowed into a 25-foot-high snow drift. The train stopped in its tracks stranding 148 holiday passengers and the crew.
Valiant relief efforts were organized when news of the train’s plight reached “civilization.” The railroad hired Gorge residents to walk or ski provisions to the stranded train, while Lyons rummaged in the baggage car to glean three cases of oysters, two quarters of beef, some mutton, and 75 jackrabbits. Women cooked over coal until it ran out, then over wood gathered from under the snow.
When the weather finally improved, the train and its weary passengers steamed into Portland three weeks late on January 7, 1885. Despite newspaper reports, nobody starved to death, but it was a holiday to remember.
- Pros:Easy to find, fun for exploration
- Cons:poison ivy
- In a nutshell:A great place to spot and explore
deWilde's Related Pages
Starvation Creek State Park Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Starvation Creek State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Starvation Creek State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Starvation Creek State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Portland Intro, 41 reviews, 178 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Park City Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Seattle Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
- Colorado Intro, 1 review, 10 photos
- Sacramento Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Antelope Island Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- New York City Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Boulder Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Cascade Gorge 4 photos