"Castelo Branco. An old town with a young spirit." Castelo Branco by Branco
Castelo Branco Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 62 photos
Castelo Branco was refounded by the Templars in the 13th century. In 1214, when Pedro Alvites was master of the Templars in Portugal, Afonso II granted them the lands of Cardosa, thus laying the foundation for what is now the city of Castelo Branco. Occupying a low hill at the centre of flat lands just 18 km from the Spanish frontier, it has been known for its embroidered colchas or bed-spreads since the late 1800s, a fine range of which can be seen in the local museum. With its broad avenues, large squares and a pleasant air of prosperity, the town is a very good base from where we can explore the border region of Central Portugal.
Branco's Related Pages
Castelo Branco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Castelo Branco - "White Castle""
- "My Fault"
- "THE WHITE CASTLE"
- "Castelo Branco. An old town with a young spirit."
- "Why Castelo Branco, the Jardim Episcopal of course"
- "Castelo Branco - White Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castelo Branco
- Hotels in Castelo Branco
- Restaurants in Castelo Branco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castelo Branco
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Castelo Branco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castelo Branco
Photos in Castelo BrancoSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 136 reviews, 64 photos, 8 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Porto Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sintra Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tunis Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Paris Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Havana Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Évora Intro, 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tomar Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Coimbra Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 5 travelogues