"Sveta Nedjelja" Sveta Nedjelja by frankyboy5
Sveta Nedjelja Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 26 photos
Sveta Nedjelja is the village below the highest peak on the island, Sveti Nikola. The village is 1 hour away from Hvar by motor-boat. It is situated on a rocky elevation dominated by the island's highest point (Sv. Nikola, 626 m) below a cave with remains of an Augustinian monastery which stood here from the 15th c. till 1787.
The village is approached from the beach along a winding path which runs through a small pine wood. Sveta Nedjelja is a famous centre for the production of the best types of Hvar red wine (plavac), while among the best white are those produced in Zavala.
Before the present century when they obtained their present church the villagers used to worship in the old monastery church in the cave. On the main altar in the new church we should mention the altar piece St. Hieronymus and the Saints (by Baldissero d'Anna) and on the side altar, a smaller painting (Our Lady of Cintura) by an unidentified master from the first half of the 18th c. The church also contains a painting of the Crucifixion by Juraj Planèiæ (1899—1930) of Stari Grad.
The cave we mentioned was inhabited in the Neolithic Age. The Augustinians built a small church and monastery in the cave in the 15th century, but left it in 1787 while the church was in use until another church was built in the village in 1823.
frankyboy5's Related Pages
Sveta Nedjelja Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sveta Nedjelja
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Sveta Nedjelja?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sveta Nedjelja
Photos in Sveta NedjeljaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Hamburg Intro, 16 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Subotica Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Rabac Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Punat Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Sveta Nedjelja Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Esztergom Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Hajduszoboszlo Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Gyor Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos