"Going to the Bay of Islands !" Top 5 Page for this destination Paihia by dragontml
Paihia Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 263 photos
The 'Bay of Islands' was how Captain James Cook described the area two centuries ago, and the simplicity of his name masks the diversity of its charm. Site of New Zealand's first European settlement and about 150 scattered islands off the North Island.
It is an area where the sea has invaded and drowned a number of river valleys. Its sheltered waters offer some of the finest boating and fishing to be found anywhere, and the menus of local restaurants reflect the abundance of marine life in the Bay.
The village of Waitangi (not to be confused with the town on the Chatham Islands) has a carved Maori meeting lodge, a shipwreck museum, the world's largest war canoe (made from the trunks of two kauri trees) and Treaty House, where the British and Maoris signed a peace treaty in 1840, creating the modern state of New Zealand.
I had a few days left in NZ before my returning flight home and so I decided to book myself with the Magic Bus to the Bay of Islands. No regrets. Was brilliant trip and our bus driver made sure we had a good trip ! TQ.
- Pros:a lovely tourist resort in the famous Bay of Islands
- In a nutshell:Pronounced as ' Py-he-a '
what a view ! it's definetly a must to spend some days in this little township up north in the north island. more travel advice
we made a stop and some ppl had the opportunity to go snorkelling, as I do not swim, i did not go into the water - it... more travel advice
dragontml's Related Pages
Paihia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paihia: Heaven in the Bay of Islands"
- "Going to the Bay of Islands !"
- "Paihia - Bay of Islands"
- "Bay of Islands"
- "A booming place with nowhere to go"
- "Keeweechic's Paihia & Bay of Islands"
- "Paihia - Gateway to the Beautiful Bay of Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paihia
- Hotels in Paihia
- Transportation in Paihia
- Nightlife in Paihia
- Restaurants in Paihia
- Warnings and Dangers in Paihia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paihia
- 16 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Paihia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paihia
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 52 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 49 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ko Lanta Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues