"The capital of NZ" Wellington by dragontml
Wellington Travel Guide: 606 reviews and 1,335 photos
Located on the southern tip of the North Island of the country, Wellington is currently home to a population of about three hundred and fifty thousand people. Named after Arthur Wellesley, the first Duke of Wellington, in recognition for this influence on the New Zealand Company, the city was first known by the native Maoris as Te Upoko o te Ika a Maui or ‘the head of Maui’s fish’.
Wellington, has been the capital of New Zealand and the home of Government since 1865 and more recently has become the arts capital. Known widely as the windy city due to the high winds flowing across Cook Strait, Wellington has developed as the business and cultural centre of New Zealand.
As well as being the capital city, Wellington is also the cultural, administrative and political centre of New Zealand and serves as the major holding centre for the country’s historic, cultural and artistic treasures. New Zealanders are renowned for their national pride and the value which they place on their history and heritage and this is clearly visible throughout the city, particularly in places like the Te Papa museum, but also in the number of programmes and incentives designed to preserve the unique Maori culture.
Finally, the city is also fortunate to be in extremely close proximity to both the mountains and the ocean adding further to its appeal. In just one day you can swim at one of the nearby beaches, follow it with a hike in the mountains and finish your day by checking out one of the host of galleries and museums on offer.
- In a nutshell:Being built on a fault line and the ever popular cable car, it stands to reason that Wellington's sister city is San Francisco.
This picture was taken while walking to the TePapa Musuem. I think it looks great ! more travel advice
You should also use the cable car at least once while you’re in Wellington although this probably won’t be for practical... more travel advice
dragontml's Related Pages
Wellington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Capital on Shaky Hills and wind-swept Seas"
- "Wellington - Capital of New Zealand"
- "Raffish and Energetic - Quirky and Agreeable"
- "WELLINGTON - The Capital of our country."
- "wellington, nz"
- "Makara Beach"
- "Windy Wellington"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wellington
- Hotels in Wellington
- Transportation in Wellington
- Nightlife in Wellington
- Restaurants in Wellington
- Shopping in Wellington
- Warnings and Dangers in Wellington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wellington
- 13 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Wellington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wellington
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 52 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 49 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ko Lanta Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues