"Benedictine Monastery of Pannonhalma" Pannonhalma by hu_women
Pannonhalma Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 23 photos
The Monastery of Pannonhalma is unique for being one of the oldest historical monuments in Hungary.
Benedictine monks settled here in 996 and founded as one of the first abbeys in the country. Moreover this is the largest Benedictian cloister in Hungary.
The consecration of the first basilica was in 1002 by King Saint Stephen.
During the Turkish occupation was used as a defensive site to protect Gyõr city for 150 years.
It was sacked by the Austrians in 1704 (as Hungary struggled for independence) and supressed by Emporer Joseph II. in 1786 and refounded by Emporer Franz II in 1802.
It is still a working abbey, house a school and monastic community.
- In a nutshell:Benedictine Monastery of Pannonhalma was added to Unesco's World Heritage List in 1996.
hu_women's Related Pages
Pannonhalma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Benedictine Monastery of Pannonhalma"
- "The Abby of Pannonhalma"
- "Pannonhalma Page"
- "Monastery on the Hill"
- "The wonderful abbey of Pannonhalma"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pannonhalma
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Pannonhalma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pannonhalma
Photos in PannonhalmaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Balaton Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sopron Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Preko Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nagyvazsony Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Zala Megye Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Sibenik Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Keszthely Intro, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pannonhalma Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Krka National Park Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Szilvasvarad Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos