Maryhill Things to Do Tips by leafmcgowan
Maryhill Things to Do: 12 reviews and 38 photos
American has several stonehenges - replicas of the infamous original from the British Isles. The American Stonehenge at Maryhill is one of the most popular sitting atop a lonely bluff overlooking the town of Maryhill, Washington and the length of the Columbia River. It is a full-size identical replica astronomically aligned of the ancient monument of "Stonehenge" in England. It serves as a replica for those who died in World War I and was built by the road engineer, Sam Hill from 1918-1930. It took him 12 years to perfect the monument, dedicating it on July 4, 1918 and completing it in 1929. He passed away shortly after its completion and was buried at the base of bluff below the monument in a difficult to reach location so that he'd be left alone by the tourists he expected to come see his monument. Hill originally built the monument after being mistakenly informed that the original Stonehenge was used for sacrifice. He wanted to symbolize how humanity was still being sacrificed to the God of War. His monument can be seen ominously looming on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River and easily seen by all passerbys on U.S. Highway 97.
<P><UL>The dedication plague at the monument reads:<BR />
"In memory of the soldiers of Klickitat County who gave their lives in defense of their country. This monument is erected in the hope that others inspired by the example of their valor and their heroism may share in that love of liberty and burn with that fire of patriotism which death can alone quench." </UL>
<P>Sam Hill also built a mansion nearby that hosts the Maryhill Museum of Art holding monuments of the Klickitat County soldiers who died in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. It is also the very first monument in the United States to be constructed to honor the dead of World War I. The altar stone is aligned with the sunrise on the Summer Solstice. There is no admission to the Memorial.
Address: Off Columbia River in Maryhill
More Reviews (1)
leafmcgowan's Related Pages
Maryhill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maryhill, WA"
- "Eccentric Estate and Vinyards and Wineries"
- "Sam Hill's Passion - Culture Comes to the Gorge"
- "A short detour along the Columbia River"
- "Fact stranger than fiction.."
- "Basaic Maryhill Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maryhill
- Hotels in Maryhill
- Transportation in Maryhill
- Shopping in Maryhill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maryhill
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Maryhill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maryhill
Photos in MaryhillSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 37 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Springs Intro, 56 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos
- Seattle Intro, 48 reviews, 40 photos
- Dublin Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Penzance Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos