"Everglades City and its surrounding Local" Everglades City by leafmcgowan
Everglades City Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 89 photos
Centuries before the first Europeans saw the Everglades, Calusa Indians dwelled inside the islands and waterways of the 10,000 Islands and lived with their tidal rhythms. The Calusa developed a complex social system and build impressive canals and earthworks. They piled shells into mounds, creating dry grounds amidst their otherwise watery environment. Most of the nearby Chokoloskee and Sandfly islands were originally Calusa shell mounds. But by the mid-1830's no Calusa's remained. Their demise is somewhat of a mystery, but the arrival of foreigners was ultimately the cause, bringing deadly new diseases and forcing Calusa relocation (both voluntary and involuntary). Three hundred years after the first Europeans arrived from Spain, the culture of South Florida's original inhabitants were gone. Today, no aboriginal peoples remain in South Florida. Miccosukee and Seminole Indians arrived in the mid-1830's; many now reside along the Tamiami Trail." ~ Interpretive display at Everglades National Park.
- Pros:great escape, full of history, full of recreational activities, solitude, tranquility
- Cons:mosquitos, remote, lack of supplies
- In a nutshell:A great little escape into the swamps ....
"Everglades City with its 10,000 Islands, offers a gateway to explore the unique Mangrove habitat preserved by... more travel advice
Centuries before the first Europeans saw the Everglades, Calusa Indians dwelled inside the islands and waterways of the... more travel advice
leafmcgowan's Related Pages
Everglades City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "everglades city florida"
- "by Miromi. Everglades City Page"
- "JILL's Everglades Page"
- "mcharlton's new The Big Cypress Page"
- "Everglades City by mafo"
- "10eke's new Everglades City Page"
- "Everglades City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Everglades City
- Hotels in Everglades City
- Transportation in Everglades City
- Restaurants in Everglades City
- Warnings and Dangers in Everglades City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Everglades City
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Everglades City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Everglades City
Photos in Everglades CitySee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 37 reviews, 68 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 56 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos
- Seattle Intro, 48 reviews, 40 photos
- Dublin Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Penzance Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos