"Florissant Fossil Beds" Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument by leafmcgowan
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 18 photos
In prehistoric times, this temperate forest meets giant natural lake hosting the flora and fauna of a landscape that would have resembled similarities with today's Pacific Northwest. Now an extinct lake bed, with a plethera of ancient petrified redwood stumps, this small 6,000 acre park protects the area. Layer upon layer of volcanic ash accumulated in this area 34-35 million years ago, killing off the lake and the animal life that was abundant here, leaving only intact layers of fossilized shale. Here we get a good picture of the Eocene period, showing Redwoods, Sequoia's, insects, and plant life. A historic 1878 homestead of the first single mother to own property in Colorado can be toured nearby. Rating: 3 stars out of 5. Visited 10/13/06.
leafmcgowan's Related Pages
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I only hope I'm dug up in 34 million years"
- "Took 5 years to get here - worth it."
- "FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT, COLORADO"
- "Florissant Fossil Beds"
- "Natural History"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Photos in Florissant Fossil Beds National MonumentSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 37 reviews, 68 photos
- Colorado Springs Intro, 56 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos
- Seattle Intro, 48 reviews, 40 photos
- Dublin Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Penzance Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos