"Gold Dust, Early West" Cripple Creek by leafmcgowan
Cripple Creek Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos
From Colorado Springs via US 24 and SR 67, or the adventurous "Gold Camp Road" thru the mountains<BR>Cripple Creek Welcome Center, 5th and Bennett, PO BOX 430, Cripple Creek, CO 80813; 719-689-3315<BR>Population: 1,115<BR>Elevation: 9,508'<BR>"There be Gold in dem Hills" ... "Pikes Peak or Bust ..." and many rumors of 'gold' 'color' on what was once the Womack Ranch brought curious prospectors into the area, especially after Bob Womack made the first major gold strike in 1891. Bob rode to Colorado City (aka Colorado Springs all grown up), spending lots of money and bragging about his claim. He sold it for $500 not realizing that through history it would yield more than $350 million in gold. 1891 saw the "$300 million cow pasture" dotted with prospectors like a disturbed ant mound with ants. The town was created and within 2 years had a population of 18,000. Destroyed in 1896 by wild rampage fires, it was rebuilt and even though the boom ended in 1904, many still seek the area and the shafts still yield gold today. With the wealth came gambling, hustling, casinos, strippers, and prostitution; much of which exist today minus any blatant stripping and prostitution focusing on entertainment and tourism traps. Rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5. Visited 10/13/06.
leafmcgowan's Related Pages
Cripple Creek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one"
- "Cripple Creek Gold Mining Town"
- "Cripple Creek Bonanza"
- "Cripple Creek, Colorado"
- "Cripple Creek a gambling town"
- "Gold Dust, Early West"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cripple Creek
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cripple Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cripple Creek
Photos in Cripple CreekSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 37 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Springs Intro, 56 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Denver Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos
- Seattle Intro, 48 reviews, 40 photos
- Dublin Intro, 22 reviews, 58 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Penzance Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos