"Baffin Island 1998" Baffin Island by maykal

Baffin Island Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 104 photos

In the summer of 1998, I took part in a 6 week expedition with my school to the Auyuittuq National Park in Baffin Island, a place that none of us knew much about and which is largely ignored by guidebooks.

This was the first page I attempted to make, and I only recently realised that I've neglected it quite a bit...so, I'm going to add more photos and text in some travelogues...some have appeared already, about Iqaluit, Pangnirtung, Broughton Island and the boat trip to the national park (see travelogue box on left!) This is only for the first week of the expedition...plenty more to come, including the national park itself (have to root out diaries first, though)...watch this space!

For more practical information, and info on the whole Nunavut region, try visiting <a href="http://www.nunatour.nt.ca/">Nunavut Tourism</a> . I recently remembered a very brief stopover in Kuujjuaq, Northern Quebec, on the way to Iqaluit, which led me to investigate further....so if you are interested in leraning about that community and others like it, head to <a href="http://www.nunavik-tourism.com/">Nunavik Tourism</a>.

To follow the expedition from start to finish, you should begin by looking at my Iqaluit page, followed by Broughton Island. The Boat Trip and the Auyuittuq National Park travelogues are below, then have a look at my Pangnirtung page. To round it off, visit Montreal, and try to see it from our perspective...this huge city after 5 weeks in the middle of nowhere!

• Last visit to Baffin Island: Aug 1998
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2003

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM

A place ignored by guidebooks? My kind of place. What an adventure you took. Thanks for sharing.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 12:37 PM

what an adventure! especially on pay day.

• MichaelRees's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Guess you need to be young to enjoy a trip like that

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Sounds like an adventure of a lifetime to me! A very enjoyable page with lots of interesting tidbits and great photos too! Thanks for taking me north.

• Aug 26, 2008 at 12:46 PM

maykal, Outstanding post! Are you aware of boat passage directly to Baffin Island from upper Quebec? How to travel from Montreal/Quebec City to upper Quebec coast, instead of flying? johndavidneal@tds.net

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 3:55 AM

Definitely off the beaten path! Did you happen to see any mining operations? Just curious. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2007 at 1:42 PM

Great pictures and pages ! This is one part of Canada I've never been...maybe someday.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Great tips and photos of Baffin Island and Auyuittuq National Park! This place is really remote and tough, but beautiful

• michanth's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 8:08 PM

Great story Michael! Great photos! I'll probably never in my life time do this trip. But through your story and photos...I was there...:) Thanks for sharing.

• s4martin's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 8:13 AM

I went last year!! I hope to go again someday. Thanks for you story, very well done. cheers

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in Baffin Island

Have you been to Baffin Island?

Latest Activity in Baffin Island