"Durres 2008" Top 5 Page for this destination Durres by maykal
Durres Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 184 photos
Underwhelmed by Tirana? How about a daytrip to the coast? Durres? Take the Tirana-Durres Express...it's quicker than walking, but only just!
I thought Tirana was quirky. Well, so too is Durres. An ancient city, not much survives from the Roman era, but it does mean that you stumble across relics from the past all over the place...amphitheatres and forums surrounded by dilapidated yet colourful century old houses inside mediaeval city walls, within spitting distance of a few Communist monuments, a backdrop of modern glass-fronted high-rise blocks.
Continuing the trend that Tirana had set, all the attractions were shut. The Roman Amphitheatre looked quite impressive from outside, although I'm told that exploring the tunnels underneath are well worth entering for...unfortunately the caretakers had decided to ignore their opening hours and go for a siesta somewhere. The Archaeological Museum was under lock and key too. Frustrating really. But I did spend a full day wandering the streets, marvelling at the sheer number of trampolines in the streets (is it a national trampolining training centre?), sunning myself on a deserted beach (well, it was very much out of season and not that warm), and generally enjoying the relaxed atmosphere.
Lots more photos to come, but let me unpack first!
- Pros:Relaxed, attractive centre, historical bits and pieces dotted about town, beaches
- Cons:Again...opening hours mean nothing at all!
Transport in Durres is concentrated in one place. You've got a cavernous train station next to a collection of buses,... more travel advice
Head north from the port, and you'll find yourself on a seafront promenade. The first part is backed by gardens and a... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Durres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Durrësi, the main harbor in Albania"
- "The Ancient Capital"
- "Durres 2008"
- "Dyrrachion, starting point of Via Egnatia."
- "Next charter destination?"
- "Eat Good Fish"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durres
- Hotels in Durres
- Transportation in Durres
- Nightlife in Durres
- Restaurants in Durres
- Warnings and Dangers in Durres
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durres
- 11 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Durres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durres
Photos in DurresSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 33 reviews, 112 photos, 2 travelogues
- Algiers Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos