"Tirana 2008" Top 5 Page for this destination Tirana by maykal

Tirana Travel Guide: 354 reviews and 948 photos

WORK IN PROGRESS! CHECK BACK LATER!

Tirana is odd. Strange. Bizarre. Quirky. Off-the-wall. I quite liked it.

Trilby hats and mosques...go-karts and green-pink-purple apartment blocks...miniature train stations and macchiato...potholes and BMWs...bridges to nowhere and glass pyramids...burek me gjize and dysfunctional clock towers

I didn't have long to spend in Tirana, but as usual, I managed to walk myself to a hobble, exploring the boulevards and backstreets, taking photograph after photograph of all the painted apartment blocks, fuelled by cheese bureks and macchiatos in the hundreds of cafes.

Much much more to say, but that'll have to wait...for now, just a photo or three...

• Pros:Quirky. Unusual. Colourful painted buildings.
  • Cons:Opening hours mean nothing. There is no bus station.
  • Last visit to Tirana: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Fabulous little page about Tirana. We also took the train to Durres and it took me some time to find out that the windows were all brokend due to some kids throwing stones at the train.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Great info and pics. Shame you didn't get to see the museum, that was my favourite part. It was open on the Tuesday I visited, but that was a public holiday so maybe that's the reason :).

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Michael, another good page here. BTW I saw those go-cart children too at the front of National Museum :)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 3:37 AM

i love this city - it even has kangaroos

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM

The dog sounds scary. Great tip!

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in Tirana