"Skopje - Üsküp - Shkup" Skopje by maykal
Skopje Travel Guide: 809 reviews and 2,024 photos
Sunshine is a wonderful thing. After snow, rain and bitterly cold temperatures in Sofia, the weather had brightened up by the time the bus pulled into Skopje's enormous bus/train station. Not the prettiest part of town, but I preferred Skopje to Sofia already, just because the clouds had parted and there was a slither of blue sky!
Many guidebooks and travel websites tend to write off Skopje as an ugly modern eyesore, a place to escape from as soon as possible to Macedonia's jewel in the crown, Ohrid. True, a lot of the city was destroyed by an earthquake in 1963, but have these guidebook writers ever crossed the Vardar river and explored the old Turkish Carsija quarter? Have they climbed Mount Vodno and had herbal tea in the windswept cafe at the top? Have they negotiated a path through the crowded Bit Pazar and explored the mosques and houses on the other side of the highway by the clock tower? Have they eaten at a kebapci or a burekci?
Skopje had a small surprise in store for me. I'd known about the Turkish quarter, but assumed it was just a leftover from Ottoman times and that it was Turkish in name only...well, it seems as if there are plenty of Turkish speakers, so that really made the city for me. I hate speaking English in foreign lands, and always like to twist my tongue around whatever languages are spoken...but in just two days I was not going to learn enough Macedonian to get much more than a coffee or a slice of burek...but meeting Skopje's Turkish community and having some of the older buildings explained in Turkish was an added bonus. Although it did make me realise how out of practice I am!
I really enjoyed what I saw of Skopje, and felt that two days was not nearly enough...there is more to explore, like the kafanas of Debar Maalo, the Mustafa Pasha mosque (under renovation on my visit), the monastery of Sveti Spas (closed...), Lake Matka, the Roma village of Sutko... In fact, I think Macedonia deserves a retrun trip...I only saw Skopje and missed out on the other attractions due to time, or lack of it...so one day soon, a visit to Ohrid, Tetovo, Lake Prespa, Prilep, etc, beckons... Wizzair, take note!
Blagodaram to Maria (Malecka) for her help and recommendations...even if I didn't manage to follow them all!
Visible from all over Skopje, Mount Vodno towers over the city from the south. At over 1000m, it is not the highest... more travel advice
One of the oldest (if not the oldest) mosques in Skopje, the Sultan Murat mosque is right next to the clocktower, so if... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Skopje Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skopje -- najgolem grad vo Makedonija!"
- "Skopje - A Reborn City"
- "A beautiful city on the river."
- "Moeto Skopjence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skopje
- Hotels in Skopje
- Transportation in Skopje
- Nightlife in Skopje
- Restaurants in Skopje
- Shopping in Skopje
- Warnings and Dangers in Skopje
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skopje
- 11 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Skopje?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skopje
- Posted in Travel Istanbul Forum "Re: Smoke in Atatürk airport"
- Wrote a Review Mount Vodno and the Millennium Cross about Millenium Cross in Skopje Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Saat Kula (Clock Tower)"
- updated a Skopje Travel Page "Skopje - Üsküp - Shkup"
- Commented on one of batto's Skopje travel pages
Photos in SkopjeSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 35 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos