"Brandon, Meadowfield and Brancepeth" Brandon by maykal
Brandon Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 22 photos
What is there to say about Brandon? I've no idea. I don't really live in Brandon itself, but in another estate over the main road in Meadowfield. Not much to choose between them though.
Anyway, there is a dearth of information on Brandon on VT, so I did think about rectifying this with a visually stunning and informative guide to the delights of this former mining town 4 miles out of Durham...but that was only a brief thought, as there isn't really any reason for a tourist to head out this way.
A few pubs, a few shops, far too many salons and bakeries, a bad reputation, a good Chinese takeaway. Hmmm...running out fo things to say now...
There is a walk that passes through Brandon...at one time it used to be a railway line connecting Bishop Auckland and the collieries around Brandon and Willington with Durham, but nowadays it is a cycle path. Much much nicer than walking along the main road, and a pleasant enough route to follow if you're in the area and bored of UNESCO world heritage sites and cobbled streets...but it'll never make the shortlist for "10,000 Walks to Do Before You Die".
The cycle path takes you out of Brandon through some farmland to Brancepeth, a small and picturesque, almost twee, village straddling the busy main road. Hidden away at one end of the village, and hardly signposted at all, is Brancepeth Castle. Private property, although you can walk around the grounds to get to the village church.
Don't do what we nearly did and stop at the driveway to the castle. We thought we might have been trespassing, and were... more travel advice
Brancepeth is an old village of twee cottages and affluent mansions spread out on either side of the main road. While... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Brandon Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Brandon
- 5 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Brandon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brandon
Photos in BrandonSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos