Vatican City Tourist Trap Tips by maykal
Vatican City Tourist Traps: 20 reviews and 20 photos
San Pietro, watching the Pope on a big screen
Avoid Wednesdays unless you want to share the piazza with a few thousand blessing-seekers...the Pope addresses the public every Wednesday morning, a laughable affair where long lists of names are read out, and the Pope says in a croaky voice 'I bless you' to ecstatic cheers from the crowds below. Go on a miserable day, preferably with rain, otherwise the place will be crawling with people like you. As someone once said, "Hell is other people".
Fun Alternatives: While everyone flocks to see the Pope, head off to other parts of Roma where you might find things a little less crowded. You can always come to the Vatican on an alternative day.
The San Pietro Rooftop Shopping Experience!
Ever wanted a teatowel which has been blessed by the Pope? How about a glow-in-the-dark crucifix, or a chocolate lollypop in the shape of a nun? Or maybe you have always wanted to buy your very own Papal blessing written on cheap notepaper and splashed with holy water, your name scrawled along the bottom as an afterthought? Well, all this and more can be bought in the rooftop souvenir shops from grinning nuns who will be only too happy to wrap your gifts in an array of gaudy paper while draining you of your last Euro. Why doesn't the Vatican go the whole hog and open a branch of Starbucks Coffee by the lifts? Or even a revolving MacDonalds in the Basilica Gallery? I'm counting the years before bungee jumping is offered from the rooftop....
Unique Suggestions: If you really are desperate to purchase that wind-up musical Popemobile for your dearly beloved, then I'm sure it is much cheaper at the classy joints surrounding the Vatican than at the rooftop shopping mall.
More Reviews (2)
maykal's Related Pages
Vatican City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vatican City - Holy See"
- "The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report"
- "Destination: Citta Del Vaticano"
- "A country in a City!"
- "VATICAN CITY"
- "Vatican CHRISTMAS 2005"
- "weekend at the Vatican"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vatican City
- Hotels in Vatican City
- Transportation in Vatican City
- Nightlife in Vatican City
- Restaurants in Vatican City
- Shopping in Vatican City
- Warnings and Dangers in Vatican City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vatican City
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Vatican City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vatican City
Photos in Vatican CitySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (79)
- Vatican Museum- 104 Reviews, 247 Photos
- The Cupola of St Peter's Basilica- 31 Reviews, 63 Photos
- The Sistine Chapel- 54 Reviews, 71 Photos
- St. Peter's Basilica- 145 Reviews, 316 Photos
- St. Peters Square ( Piazza San Pietro)- 73 Reviews, 182 Photos
- Sacred Grottoes- 11 Reviews, 16 Photos
- The Pope/Sunday Service- 14 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Vatican Gardens- 13 Reviews, 21 Photos
- History- 19 Reviews, 29 Photos