"Dahuk...or Dohuk...or Duhok" Dahuk by maykal

Dahuk Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 25 photos

However you want to spell it, I liked this city, the third largest in Iraqi Kurdistan, but am now finding it tricky to say exactly why. I think it is probably the mountain backdrop and the general atmosphere on the streets that makes Dohuk an attractive place to spend a few days...there certainly aren't any places to rush out of your way to see here, but if you can do without museums and historical monuments on every corner, Dohuk might appeal.

Adverts for "English-style villas" (ummm....do we have villas in England?!) and brand new luxury hotels lined the main road into Dohuk, and the contrast with scruffy Zaxo was huge...Dohuk is definitely on the way up, with shopping malls and upmarket housing developments are springing up all over the suburbs. The city centre seemed clean and orderly, with traffic police conducting the taxis and cars like some sort of unruly school orchestra...as soon as backs were turned, drivers edged forwards and tried to sneak through red lights, but stopping when whistled at.

I was dropped off on Kawa Street, a busy strip of shawarma stalls, juice bars and teahouses, and found my way to the tiny Hotel Parleman on the edge of the bazaar. Over the next couple of days, I tramped every street of the covered bazaar, sampled fresh pomegranate juice from nearly all the juice bars, walked the length of the "Corniche" park alongside a trickle of a stream, marvelled at the view from the unfinished Azadi panorama park and the Dohuk dam, ate far too many shawarmas and drank far too much sugary tea.

• Last visit to Dahuk: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated May 8, 2010

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Another great page of yours!

• Doctor38's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

As usual, you have built very fascinating page. I found it interesting that there is no Kurdish language teaching course. I don't know why, but I believe that there are 3 different Kurdish languages or may be more? I don't know.

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in Dahuk