"Le Kef" Top 5 Page for this destination El Kef by maykal
El Kef Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 113 photos
Le Kef, just 30 kilometres from Algeria, was one of my favourite places in Tunisia. Located on a hilltop, whitewashed houses spill down the slopes under an impressive Ottoman kasbah. Climb the stairways of the old town and you stumble across picturesque mosques, ancient churches and even an abandoned yet preserved synagogue, while down below around the natural springs, you find the remains of the Roman town of Sicca Veneria.
What made Le Kef even more attractive was the friendliness of the people. I stayed three days, and every day I drank a lot of coffee but struggled to pay for a single one...everywhere I went, people approached to practice their French or English, inviting me to a coffee and a chicha in one of Le Kef's many many cafes.
Le Kef would make a good base to visit other local attractions such as the ruins at Dougga and Bula Regia. I have to confess that I didn't trek out to those remote sites, as after many years in the Middle East, I decided I was suffering from delayed ruin fatigue...so I preferred to concentrate on old towns and cities on this trip, Le Kef being maybe the most impressive.
Lots of tips to make for Le Kef, but university coursework needs to be done first...go have a coffee and check back later :@P
- Pros:Picturesque old town on a hillside under a Turkish castle
- Cons:Restaurants a bit thin on the ground
- In a nutshell:To see a pretty untouristy hilltop town in mountainous surroundings, Le Kef is the perfect place
Once you've seen the sights listed above, spend the rest of your time exploring the stairways and alleyways of the old... more travel advice
This is a great little museum, housed in a former zaouia (like a mosque, but built for Sufi groups to visit the tomb of... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
El Kef Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Rock, the Kasbah"
- "Le Kef"
- "Mountain Town"
- "El Kef"
- "Le Kef - The Rock"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Kef
- Hotels in El Kef
- Transportation in El Kef
- Nightlife in El Kef
- Restaurants in El Kef
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Kef
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to El Kef?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Kef
Photos in El KefSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 35 reviews, 113 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos