"Le Kef" Top 5 Page for this destination El Kef by maykal

El Kef Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 113 photos

Le Kef, just 30 kilometres from Algeria, was one of my favourite places in Tunisia. Located on a hilltop, whitewashed houses spill down the slopes under an impressive Ottoman kasbah. Climb the stairways of the old town and you stumble across picturesque mosques, ancient churches and even an abandoned yet preserved synagogue, while down below around the natural springs, you find the remains of the Roman town of Sicca Veneria.

What made Le Kef even more attractive was the friendliness of the people. I stayed three days, and every day I drank a lot of coffee but struggled to pay for a single one...everywhere I went, people approached to practice their French or English, inviting me to a coffee and a chicha in one of Le Kef's many many cafes.

Le Kef would make a good base to visit other local attractions such as the ruins at Dougga and Bula Regia. I have to confess that I didn't trek out to those remote sites, as after many years in the Middle East, I decided I was suffering from delayed ruin fatigue...so I preferred to concentrate on old towns and cities on this trip, Le Kef being maybe the most impressive.

Lots of tips to make for Le Kef, but university coursework needs to be done first...go have a coffee and check back later :@P

• Pros:Picturesque old town on a hillside under a Turkish castle
  • Cons:Restaurants a bit thin on the ground
  • In a nutshell:To see a pretty untouristy hilltop town in mountainous surroundings, Le Kef is the perfect place
  • Last visit to El Kef: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 24, 2007

• newyorkerman's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Regarding the name addition of Veneria, I suspect that this indicated a consecration of the city to the goddess Venus. I guess it's not surprising that soldiers would have a devotion to her.

• alza's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 2:19 PM

amazing how El Kef reminds me of Bonifacio in Corsica. It will be one of my favourites too, I know. Everything I read here helped me, thanks.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2006 at 2:14 PM

lovely too...perhaps I have to visit Tunisia again some time

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in El Kef