"Atbara...Train Graveyard" Atbara by maykal
Atbara Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 24 photos
Atbara is famous for being the centre of all things to do with railways in Sudan. Practically the whole town is based around the train station, to the extent that sirens go off during the early hours to wake the town's inhabitants in time for the first train! Architecturally, it is strange, as most rail workers' houses in Sudan are domed huts made from brick, bult by the British...most towns have a cluster of these huts, but Atbara is full of them...quite an unusual sight!
Atbara lies at the confluence of the Nile and the Atbara rivers, and once you've had enough of looking at trains, stations or railway workers, you can head to the riverbanks and board a ferry to the other side for no other reason than to return back almost immediately.
Atbara is not high on the must-see list in Sudan (if such a thing exists), but it is a pleasant place to spend a day, or longer if you happen to know someone who lives there...that's one advantage of being a university lecturer in Sudan, as you end up with contacts in almost every place!
- Pros:Pleasant to walk around, Nile views, unusual railway quarter
- Cons:Not much to do, early wake-up calls courtesy of Sudan Railways' air-raid sirens!
- In a nutshell:A nice place to spend a day or two recovering from a mammoth train journey
Atbara in the dry season has wide beaches alongside the Nile where locals come to play football and sit with friends in... more travel advice
Most visitors to Atbara treat the place as nothing more than a place to change transport, and try to leave almost as... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Atbara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Atbara...Train Graveyard"
- "Atbara- the former railway town"
- "Going north, going east"
- "Maqsood in Atbara"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Atbara
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Atbara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atbara
Photos in AtbaraSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos
- Morocco Intro, 15 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prizren Intro, 20 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos