"Being a sponge in Port Sudan" Port Sudan by maykal

Port Sudan Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 104 photos

Many of my students come from Port Sudan, and one of our oral exam questions was, "describe your town", so we listened as they waxed lyrical in broken English about Port Sudan. The overall impression was that it was a beautiful town with lots of things for tourists to do...when prodded further, most could not come up with a single attraction other than looking at the sea and visiting relatives. The weather was always "jameel" (beautiful) in their descriptions though, so after a dusty few days of exams in Kassala, we decided to board a Pan Express bus to the "magical" town to see all those "beautiful" sights for ourselves.

Well, in all fairness, it is probably a nice place...I wouldn't go so far as to call it beautiful like so many say, but it was pleasant to see the sea again after nine months without it. But there is no denying that it is just a big city which happens to lie next to the sea, and there really isn't much special about it.

We'd intended to spend about a week in Port Sudan, but two factors cut our journey short...the first was the unbearable heat and humidity. Actually it was only a cool 35 degrees (Kassala was 38 when we left) but the humidity is oppressive in May and we just felt sweaty and grimy for the duration of our stay. The second factor was the fortnightly train to Atbara which was leaving three days after we arrived, and that, we felt, was not to be missed.

• Pros:By the sea
  • Cons:Hot, humid, no redeeming features, dirty beach
  • In a nutshell:On my list of "don't want to live there" places!
  • Last visit to Port Sudan: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 7, 2003

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 6:25 AM

We went First Class.On the way back, had to forfeit my seat to the army, and join the other women next door! The 'beach' in Port Sudan is at Kilo Tamania [8] and it is actually a beach ,or it was in 1970!

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2006 at 1:32 AM

Michael, I revisted your tips on Port Sudan. I hope to go there for scuba diving :)

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2006 at 10:18 AM

great travel tales michael! enjoyed them. thanks very much. will u be around here in mid-May?

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 12:43 PM

excellent reading..the train ride from hell. but also all the other tips. thanx Michael, enjoyed myself. have a great 2006 with more exiting travels, I hope you'll share with us. greets from NZ, Waltraud

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 12:08 PM

Interesting vist to way off the beaten path destination.

• ayesh's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2004 at 12:01 AM

You shine a very realistic light on this city/country. It rouses my curiosity. Thanks!

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2003 at 1:35 PM

Interesting... bring back memories from my visit to Port Sudan. Such wonderful and friendly people but terrible heath !

maykal

“Motto? Motto?! What do I want a motto for?”

Badges & Stats in Port Sudan

Have you been to Port Sudan?

Latest Activity in Port Sudan