"Being a sponge in Port Sudan" Port Sudan by maykal
Port Sudan Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 107 photos
Many of my students come from Port Sudan, and one of our oral exam questions was, "describe your town", so we listened as they waxed lyrical in broken English about Port Sudan. The overall impression was that it was a beautiful town with lots of things for tourists to do...when prodded further, most could not come up with a single attraction other than looking at the sea and visiting relatives. The weather was always "jameel" (beautiful) in their descriptions though, so after a dusty few days of exams in Kassala, we decided to board a Pan Express bus to the "magical" town to see all those "beautiful" sights for ourselves.
Well, in all fairness, it is probably a nice place...I wouldn't go so far as to call it beautiful like so many say, but it was pleasant to see the sea again after nine months without it. But there is no denying that it is just a big city which happens to lie next to the sea, and there really isn't much special about it.
We'd intended to spend about a week in Port Sudan, but two factors cut our journey short...the first was the unbearable heat and humidity. Actually it was only a cool 35 degrees (Kassala was 38 when we left) but the humidity is oppressive in May and we just felt sweaty and grimy for the duration of our stay. The second factor was the fortnightly train to Atbara which was leaving three days after we arrived, and that, we felt, was not to be missed.
- Pros:By the sea
- Cons:Hot, humid, no redeeming features, dirty beach
- In a nutshell:On my list of "don't want to live there" places!
Every two weeks, a big event happens in Port Sudan...a train leaves! The station, which is normally deathly quiet and... more travel advice
Buses arive in Port Sudan from Kassala, Gedarif, Medani and Khartoum. The road may be good, but distances are long. On... more travel advice
maykal's Related Pages
Port Sudan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Sudan"
- "Being a sponge in Port Sudan"
- "Red Sea Coast"
- "Port of Sudan"
- "Port Sudan"
- "Sudan's port"
- "PORT SUDAN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Sudan
- Hotels in Port Sudan
- Transportation in Port Sudan
- Restaurants in Port Sudan
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Sudan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Sudan
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Port Sudan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Sudan
Photos in Port SudanSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 33 reviews, 147 photos
- Turkey Intro, 37 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faroe Islands Intro, 25 reviews, 123 photos
- Algiers Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos
- Marseille Intro, 22 reviews, 97 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 33 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigo Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos
- Kassala Intro, 53 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arbil Intro, 20 reviews, 70 photos